Chapter 2: Bin Ranjai Ek Heer

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Thank you." Abhay said as he made a bow. Piya laughed at off. They both headed toward the canteen to grab a snack. They sat down on the table they usually sit in. A canteen boy brought them two samosa and 2 bottle of Pepsi.

"Abhay, how did you know I didn't do the assignment." Piya asked taking a sip of her Pepsi.

"I actually didn't, but since it was outlining the story that we read, and I usually do two to three outlines...so I had an extra. I just wrote your name on the top." Abhay smiled as he bit into his samosa. "By the way I have a good news I want to share with you."

"Really, spill it already." Piya said excited.

"Remember that scholarship essay I submitted two months ago." Abhay placed his half eaten samosa o the plate. "A Hospital in Bihar is ready to give me full scholarship to become a doctor there."

"Abhay! This is awesome, now you will really fulfill your dream to be a doctor." Piya's eyes sparkled. She was happy for Abhay.

"But there is a problem." Abhay picked up his Pepsi.

"Kya problem." Piya.

"A doctor from that hospital coming by to take my interview and you know how scared I am about interview." Abhay took a sip from the bottle.

"Abhay, I believe in you. I know you got this." Piya placed her hand on Abhay's hand. They looked at one another in silence. Piya was happy for Abhay, because what made Abhay happy made her happy. Abhay looked at Piya and smiled, if he had nothing else in his life but only had Piya, he would still be the happiest person. Piya and Abhay pulled their hands away realizing they were holding each other's hand to long.

Abhay picked up his samosa and took a bite, however before he could swallow, someone hit him on the back. Abhay turned around only to find Danish, their college goon starring at him. Danish pulled out a chair and sat in between Abhay and Piya. Two of Danish's friend stood beside him.

"Did you guys hear the latest news." Danish said as one of his friends handed him a newspaper. Piya rolled her eyes. She knew Danish being here was no good for her or Abhay.

"No we haven't Danish, we have better things to do." Piya replied trying to pack her stuff to leave. Danish stopped her.

"I think this news is worth for you two love birds to listen to." Danish continued. "Two lovers were killed by their family because they married out from their caste." Abhay got up from the table, he heard news like this many time. He knew why Danish was doing that, hey hated the fact Abhay, a Sudra was friends with Piya a Brahmin. Danish's friends grabbed Abhay and punched him on the face.

Piya was the first to react. She grabbed Danish by the collar. Danish grinned at Piya then grabbed her hands tightly. "Hye, only those who are Abhay like me would be held by the collar with such beautiful hands." Piya tried to pull her hand away but Danish held on to them tightly. Abhay saw Piya's face and without even thinking he grabbed the Pepsi bottle and smashed it on Danish's head. Danish backed away in pain releasing Piya's hand.

"Sudra!" Danish yelled as he tried to hit Abhay. Abhay avoided Danish's attack. He grabbed Piya by the hand and ran. Abhay and Piya could hear Danish still yelling and following behind them The hid behind a door as Danish ran past them yelling and calling Abhay Sudra.

Piya and Abhay took a deep breath realizing the coast was clear. That's when Piya realized she was leaning on Abhay's chest. Abhay looked at Piya and their eyes locked. Piya awkwardly pulled herself away.

"Aj toh bachgaya, Kal kya hoga." Abhay said trying to change the subject. (Today I am saved, what about tomorrow.)

"Abhay you are too much. Why did you had to hit Danish with that bottle?" Piya said.