Promise Me: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

“Not anymore,” his dad said, hauling a bag of charcoal down to the grill.  “I learned to keep my mouth shut.”

“Yeah, I’ve noticed,” Justin commented.  “I’m not like that, Dad.  I can’t keep turning my back every time someone disagrees with me.”

His dad drew up to his full height.  “What makes you think I turn my back every time?”

“Please, Dad.  Whenever Mom gets started, you leave the room.”

“That’s because I don’t like to make your mother upset,” his dad explained.  “You think you got your temper from you mother?  Well, you’re wrong.”

“Dad, you don’t have a temper,” Justin snorted.

“Wrong again.  There were times when I was angry, just like you, but I’ve learned to control it.”

Justin stared at him.  In all his life, he couldn’t remember a single time his dad ever lost it.  “When have you ever been angry at anything?”

Ronald Kirkland sized up his oldest son.  “How about the time you got caught peeking into Kimberly Johnson’s window?  Or the time you thought you were doing the right thing by marrying Beth?  Or when you upset your daughter by forcing her to stop being friends with Hannah?”

“So, I’m the source of all your anger,” Justin scoffed.  “That’s good to know.  My dad saying I’m a screw up.”

“It wasn’t just you,” his dad said sternly.  “There was the time your brother quit college to chase after Hannah when she left for California.  And then the time I caught him smoking pot out in the barn.  And when he got himself thrown in jail for underage drinking.”

Justin blinked, not wanting to believe the words.  “I didn’t know about any of that.  When did all this happen?”

His dad shook his head.  “You’ve always thought you were the one with problems, but that’s never been true.  Your brother always looked up to you, the one person who could do no wrong in his eyes, but when your life started coasting downhill, so did his.  Luke was never as strong as you, Justin.  You see the way he is now, and you remember him as the pesky little brother, but did you ever really pay attention to anything but your own life?”

“Dad…”

“Now, don’t get me wrong,” his father continued.  “You’ve had your share of difficulties.  You’re a single man trying to raise a teenage daughter all by yourself, and your ex-wife doesn’t want anything to do with Josie.  Your mother and I understand that about you, but you’re projecting your pain on people who don’t deserve it, and that pisses me off.”