81

A Special CBC News Presentation

Peter Mansbridge talks with Doctor James Williams, Dr. Robert Traverse and Stephen Hawking

August 24, 1976

Mansbridge: It was exactly 146 days ago that the Corner Brook Rec Centre disappeared, taking with it 187 teenage boys and girls.

The tragic event was caused by the malfunction of a top secret time displacement machine, which was invented for the Canadian government by two top military scientists; Doctors Robert Traverse and James Williams.

Welcome to the show gentlemen.

Williams: Thank you Peter.

Traverse: Our pleasure, Peter.

Mansbridge: With our two scientific guests is renown physicist, Stephen Hawking. It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr.Hawking.

Hawking: As it is mine to meet you, Peter.

Mansbridge: Well gentlemen, the world is waiting to know exactly what happened.

Traverse: It was one of our chimpanzees. It somehow managed to get free of its cage and basically ran havoc, over the laboratory. We feel that the sudden sounds and minor explosions and fire, panicked the chimp and in its terror, it caused irreparable damage to the time displacement machine.

Mansbridge: And it was this damage that sent the teenagers back in time.

Hawking: Perhaps.

Mansbridge: Perhaps? Is there a possibility that the destruction of the time displacement machine, did not cause the teenagers disappearance?

Hawking: No. the time displacement machine was the cause, for certain. It is the final destination and time that has now become clouded.

Mansbridge: So the teenagers may not have gone back in time?

Traverse: To be honest, Peter, we are not 100% certain where the teenagers are.

Mansbridge: That does not sound too promising for the families of the teenagers.

Williams: Perhaps an explanation is in order here.

Mansbridge: I am sure that there are millions of people out there who would like some kind of explanation.

Williams: Our machine was equipped with a state of the art computer. A computer we have been working on for years. One that is much smaller than anything in existence.