3 - BLEEKER STREET

CHANTELLE WAS SPRAWLED OUT ACROSS HER BED, ADAMANTLY REFUSING TO LOOK AT HER COMPUTER SCREEN

CHANTELLE WAS SPRAWLED OUT ACROSS HER BED, ADAMANTLY REFUSING TO LOOK AT HER COMPUTER SCREEN. She had been searching for a new studio for the past three days, turning up absolutely nothing. Her old studio, the one in Brooklyn that had been a pain to get to each day, was no longer available, and nothing nearby fit her; they were all either too big and expensive, or too small to work with, sometimes with outrageous prices considering the size. She had exhausted every resource in the book, finally landing on Craigslist.

"There's nothing wrong with Craigslist," Nikki said, the two of them making their way towards the nearest Starbucks, walking side-by-side.

Amanda was at work and Nikki's case had to be rescheduled due to problems on the defendant's side, so she had called Chantelle, convincing her to stop moping and groaning over her search for a studio and get coffee and fresh air. With nothing better to do, Chantelle hopped into a shower, put in her hearing aids, and made her way out, meeting her neighbor at the court house not long after.

"I know, but I'm just worried that I won't be able to find any legitimate prospects," she sighed, running her hands through her still-drying black hair, "All the studio offers I've looked at aren't right, I'm not taking anything ridiculously priced, but I don't want to sell myself short and take a place where I can hardly work.

"What are you even looking for?" Nikki asked, waiting for Chantelle to open the door for her, as the Starbucks they were at didn't have an accessibility button.

"Well," the woman began, letting her friend wheel herself inside before stepping in as well, letting the door close behind her, only for it to be stopped by a man stepping in, wearing a large coat and hat; slightly strange in the summer, but not too out of the ordinary.

"I need something affordable that's about the size of a regular bed room with preferably higher ceilings and ventilation. I'm fine just renting out a room in a larger place, but I just...I would like someplace to work that makes me feel like I can work. Considering how long it's been, I reserve the right to be more picky, but Craigslist isn't going to give me many options once I start searching."

"And there isn't a single place like that?" Nikki asked, frowning up at the woman as she craned her neck to try and see the menu from her vantage point.

Chantelle took a picture of a menu and handed the woman her phone, shaking her head, "There's this one place, but I would have to commute two hours every day by train, not including all the traffic, so it's just not feasible."

Nikki hummed, handing her back her phone, giving her a sad smile. "If only there was a perfectly sized studio space that could be rented out to you within a few minutes walk of Nolita."

Chantelle sighed wistfully, laughing along with the woman, continuing to move up into the line, shifting as the man with the coat and hat seemed to move closer to them. "If only. But life doesn't work that way. But if it did, I'd take that place right away."