day seven | free day

"I can't believe I talked you into this."

Macey looked over at Tom and glared. "You didn't talk me into this; I was drunk, and you took advantage of that."

"A bet is a bet," He said.

"It's not a fair one."

"How?"

"It's a win-win situation for you," She said. "That's not a bet; that's called being mean."

"Maybe if you didn't pretend to know Dutch..."

She simply huffed, and he chuckled.

He stopped walking, and Macey almost didn't notice.  She looked up, and when she saw the light-up tattoo sign, she sighed.

That past weekend, at Bianca's birthday party, the two had gotten drunk - Macey a bit more than Tom.

She wanted to hear him speak Dutch, he did, and she bet him that she could guess what he said without a translator or anything.

The wager?  If she got it right, he had to get a new tattoo; if she got it wrong, she had to get a tattoo.

Of course, she got it wrong, both because she didn't know the Dutch language, and she was very, very drunk.

Yes, it was her idea to make the bet, and yes, it was the wager was her idea, but she was drunk, she'd argue.

Then he would remind her that he was also drunk.

...Okay, so it was mostly her own fault.  But she refused to admit it.

They walked into the store.  There was rock music playing.  It was fairly empty, probably due to the fact that it was fairly early in the morning; they were going to the Performance Center after this.

The tattoo artist seemed to know Tom, so they spoke for a bit as Macey looked around.  When she heard her name, she looked over at them, and they both were looking at her.  She walked over to them.

"Do you know what you want?" The artist asked.

She nodded. "Yeah."

Tom looked surprised. "You do?"

"Well, when I found out I didn't have much of a choice, I figured I should decide on something I don't hate," She replied. "Especially since you'd want to have a say if I had no idea."

"Okay, fair enough."

Macey walked away with the tattoo artist, while Tom stayed behind.

He wanted to see how long it took for her to chicken out.

***

When Macey finally came back out, he realized that she didn't chicken out.  However, he didn't see a tattoo anywhere, so he wasn't so sure.

"Well?" He asked.

She rolled her eyes, but smiled.  She pulled down the left side of her pants, just barely, and there was the tattoo: a small heart on her hip.

"You actually did it."

"You weren't going to let me leave if I didn't," She told him. "So I just went ahead and got it over with."

"It suits you." He found himself nodding in approval.

"By the way," She added, "I told him that you were paying for this."

"Gladly."

Once he paid, the two of them left and began heading to his car.

"Was it as bad as you thought it'd be?" He asked.

"I mean... I still hate needles," She replied. "That didn't change.  But..." She sighed, knowing she was about to tell him he was right. "It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

"I was waiting for you to come running out, screaming," He said.

"Okay, even if I didn't go through with it, I wouldn't have done that," She protested.

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, really." She frowned. "I'm not scared of needles; I just don't like them."

"So, you would go get a flu shot right now?"

"No," She answered quickly.  When he smirked, she added, "But not because I'm scared of needles.  I just don't need a flu shot right now."

"When do you need a flu shot?" He asked, no longer trying to hide the fact that he was teasing her.

"When people have it," She told him. "No one has it right now."

"Probably because they got their flu shots."

She didn't say anything at first.

Then, "That's not the point here.  I don't like the Twilight books, but that doesn't mean I'm scared of them."

That stumped him.

"That is a good point," He said, "but I still think you're scared of needles."

She groaned.

***

And that's it! :)

Lacey's tattoo is based off the one Rachel got in Friends when Ross was saying how he didn't like them, but she got one anyway.

Sorry it took me a little while to get the last three days published, but I hope you enjoyed this book + pairing!