"It wasn't done to hurt you," she whispered, delicately touching his jaw. "Please believe me."

"It felt like it was at the time."

"I didn't start a solo career to hurt you, Lindsey. I did it for me."

He looked down at her. "It was supposed to be me and you. I was supposed to be the one to always take your songs and work magic on them. That was my job, Stevie."

"It was...I know, but I wanted to show you that I didn't have to depend on you. It was clear you hated listening and working on songs that were about you. I wanted to let you be free of that burden, and I wanted you to be proud of me, Lindsey. Bella Donna wasn't a betrayal to you. It wasn't meant to be a competition either."

Lindsey swallowed hard, replaying her words in his mind. He wanted to find a rock and crawl under it to hide from the heavy cloud of shame hanging over him. His fingers tensely plucked at the fabric of the couch. "I made it into one," he griped, shaking his head. He had to show her that he could be more popular than her, but he'd failed on surpassing the popularity and sales of her solo albums. Looking back, he shouldn't have been blinded by his resentment. She'd always wanted him to be content and successful with his music.

"Can I tell you a secret?"

He cocked an eyebrow as a quizzical expression passed over his features. "What?"

"I bought every one of your albums," she confessed.

He chuckled, picturing her in a disguise and purchasing Law and Order and Go Insane. Lindsey rested his hand on her side. "I don't believe you. I want to, but I don't."

"Baby, I did. I loved every song. I wanted to call you and tell you how amazing everything was. You did it all," Stevie praised with a genuine smile. "Want to know one of my favorite lyrics?" she inquired, scratching her nails against his scalp.

Lindsey barely nodded his curly head. Her tone sent a chill up his spine, and he felt the air become charged with electricity.

She pushed herself up his physique and whispered into his ear, "I come up fast, but I go down slow."

He felt her warm breath against his neck, and he gulped in anticipation. Her hands roamed over his chest, and she nipped at the sensitive skin behind his ear.

"So tell me darlin'," she lowered her voice and sucked on his earlobe. "Do you want to go?"

"All night," he answered.

Stevie peppered kisses along his jaw and down to his neck. Stevie sat up and lifted her dress, raking it up her body. Lindsey helped her pull the garment off and tossed it to a far corner. His eyes scanned over the changes to her body, and all he wanted was to touch her ivory skin. His hand drifted to her swollen breasts, fondling and teasing. A smile crept over his face as he felt her react to his ministrations. She grazed her lips over his throat and slid her hand down his stomach, unzipping his pants and feeling his hardness. She whimpered against his lips before kissing him ardently. Lindsey fumbled and pushed his jeans down, struggling and fighting to get them completely off. He kicked the Levi's onto the floor. Stevie brazenly straddled him, shocked by the intensity of her desire for him. She'd missed him in this way. Lindsey rubbed her thighs and glanced at her with a gleam in his eye. She drew her bottom lip in between her teeth and lifted her hips as he positioned himself at her entrance. Stevie took his arousal in her hand and guided him towards her. She met his eyes as his hand covered hers.

"Together," he whispered.

"Together," she replied in a silky murmur, moaning as he filled her. Stevie wanted him to feel the evidence of her yearning for him, but her patience wore thin. Tension hummed through her body as she began to move. Lindsey caught her hands in his, steadying her and guiding her movements. He stroked her palms with his thumbs. Her head fell back, surrendering to the pleasure. She felt her body quiver, and his unrelenting lips and tongue caressing her breasts. Stevie gripped his hands and felt the pleasure ebb and break like a wave on the shore. Lindsey opened his eyes, witnessing her beautiful, heated rhythm, her parted lips, her hair falling wildly around her shoulders, and her close to the edge of losing herself. He let that image burn into his mind, shutting his eyes and gently thrusting counterpoint to her efforts. She cried out at the added intensity, soaring over the edge with him. She fell forward, meeting his lips in a fiery kiss. Lindsey hooked his hands around her hips, squeezing and lifting. He groaned at the separation, the broken connection. Stevie curled beside him and caught her breath. Lindsey rubbed his chin against her hair, encircling her in his arms. He pressed his lips against her temple and held her.

Stevie shivered and tugged a basket weave chenille throw blanket over their naked bodies. She kissed his nipple and tilted her head to stare at him in the dim light. He was handsome - more so since his face was free of stress and tension. She smiled and draped her arm over him, bathing in the afterglow until she noticed a sly, satisfied grin curl upon his lips as he hugged her closer to him. "What?"

"I always enjoyed that song," he disclosed, winking at her as he hummed a few bars.

She laughed and nudged him playfully. "I love you."

"I love you too," Lindsey replied and kissed her lips lovingly. He pulled the blanket up to her shoulders and watched her eyes fight to stay open. Within minutes, Stevie gave into sleep and snuggled deeper into him. He chuckled to himself. She never could pace herself.