Ch. 1.3 Jabs Back and Forth

Start from the beginning

Rile had checked and discovered that kickboxing was the last class of the evening. The gym was open 24/7 to members, so once the class was over and everyone left, he hoped to jump on the machines.

"What are you doing?" Alex squeaked in alarm as Rile stripped off his sweats.

He grinned at her wickedly and she saw his muscle shirt and shorts underneath.

"Where did you get those clothes?" she demanded.

"More research on the internet." Rile loved technology: computers, satellite TV, video games, all of it.

How much is his intrinsic personality and how much is to annoy Gabe, who frowns on such things? Gabe misses the simple life of camping, hunting, and whatever else.

"I found out that this was appropriate clothing for a gym. What, did you think I was undressing for you?" Rile's grin grew more wicked.

"You didn't tell me you wanted to work out." Alex shoved away memories of his muscular body curled around her, of his gentle kiss. She pulled up the memory that he had indulged in her powers while she slept.

Jerk.

"I thought you'd say no," Rile said.

"So you got dressed and came anyway. No wonder Gabe wants to throttle you sometimes."

"Sometimes? Hurry up and give me a tour before some night owl comes in to exercise."

***

Rile performed with ease the free weight exercises posted on the wall. The machines were a little more complicated, but he wouldn't let Alex skip any of them. He tried out the lat pull-down machine without success so Alex walked over.

"Keep your elbows in. I had trouble with this machine, too. Contract your back muscles."

Rile tried again, but Alex shook her head. She struggled to remember what her trainer had told her.

"You want to use these muscles." She traced along his shoulder blades and tried to ignore the shimmering illusion that hid his wings.

Rile followed her instructions and Alex said, "That was better, but not quite it." She laid her hand on his back. "Try to pinch my hand between your shoulder blades." Alex felt the same thrill of victory when she had done it correctly. "That's it."

Rile smiled up at her, but when their eyes met, his face grew serious, and Alex removed her hand.

"You can break my heart only once a night, Rile." Alex started for the exit.

Rile got what he wanted from me, but never again.

***

For Rile, it was always the same. He could move close enough to see Alex's heart, but then she would remember what had happened and harden it against him.

He wished that he could do what he always used to do: move on to the next female. But even if there had been one, he didn't want to.

No one else had Alex's crazy mix of crusading spirit, courage, and insane insecurity. How could he make her understand that he wasn't going to hurt her this time?

What had Gabe said to Alex to get her back? He must have lied to her, he just knew it. Alex wouldn't have fallen for all his gifts of pastries, but maybe the nightly gift of liquor had helped. Gabe was Clan Leader born and bred. He would never give that up, no matter what he must have told Alex, or himself.

Come the day the portal home opened, Gabe would dash through it without a backward glance and leave Alex in his dust. She would be broken.

Fine, he would be waiting.