Chapter 8

Junko's scowl was like a flamethrower. Miko followed her down the school hallways as Junko turned it on each boy they passed. Some of the heat splashed on the nearby girls as well and both boys and girls shrank away like burning vegetation.

I don't think this is helping, Miko thought. It will only ensure everyone hates me.

Unfazed by Junko's threat, the boys outside her classroom door only modified their greeting. "Ohayo gozaimasu, Miyamoto-san, and Sato-san."

A faint smile tugged at the corner of Junko's mouth as she and Miko entered the classroom. "Idiots. They are so KY."

Miko smiled. She knew Junko was flattered to even be noticed beside her.

"I don't think they're trying to harass us," Miko said later, during lunch.

"Mmm," Junko nodded, swallowed and added, "They're just dim-wits, kuki yomenai, but they still need to know their place."

Junko didn't let up. Over the next few days, she cleared the hallways with her expression, but the boys still greeted them every morning. Miko kept her head down as she passed Jack. Every time she peeked up at him, he seemed to grow more uncomfortable with her presence.

"Then why does he do it?" Junko asked once Miko shared her fears.

"Perhaps they make him do it. He doesn't look like he wants to be there and he never says anything to me."

Junko gave her a long look, then shrugged. "Forget about him then."

The suggestion was like a punch in the heart. She gaped at Junko eating her lunch. It wasn't what Miko wanted to hear... but what else should she have expected? A cunning plan to win Jack's affection? Despair gripped her heart with a long painful squeeze. Perhaps forgetting him would be best, she thought.

Miko was almost late to school the next day. She had been dragging her feet each morning, arriving later each day. The driver even asked if she was feeling well when he met her at the door. She just silently nodded.

The other students were already inside when they arrived at the school. The car pulled up to the curb where Junko waited. Miko got out and Junko silently escorted her inside.

"I don't think I can do this anymore," Miko blurted

Junko's head snapped up. "Have me escort you?"

"No." Miko took a deep breath. "It's seeing him. I don't think my heart can take it."

"Are you still thinking about the gaijin?"

"I've tried not to. But then... each morning..."

"Do you want me to talk to his homeroom teacher?"

Miko almost blurted out "No". It would probably be for the best, she thought but couldn't bring herself to say anything. The idea of no longer seeing him hurt almost as much as actually seeing him. She clutched at her chest and gasped. "I don't know."

"That settles it then," Junko murmured with a hard note of resolve.

"Ohayo gozaimasu, Miyamoto-san and Sato-san."

Clutching her chest, Miko kept her head down and picked up her pace. Junko took a breath to shout something at them, then a new voice said, "Ohayo, Miyamoto-san."

Miko looked up. Jack, stood almost within her arm's reach. His smile twitched nervously and his eyes had an almost pleading look of concern.

Junko's mouth hung open in silent surprise.