Part1

Emma Larsen was practically jumping in her seat as her grandmother drove towards Delacroix Dance Academy. Delacroix was one of the most well-known dance schools in America, and Emma had been dreaming of going there since she was eight years old. Now that she was sixteen and her dream was finally coming true, she couldn't help but wonder if the whole situation was real or not. Emma was even lucky enough to get accepted at the minimum age possible. The accepted age range of first years was from sixteen to eighteen. She thought that the academy must have considered her to be very good if they let her in.

"Emma, did you hear what I just said?" Emma's grandmother asked as she drove down a narrow, winding street.

Snapping out of her daydream Emma looked at her grandmother apologetically. "Sorry, I just can't stop thinking about how amazing all of this is," said Emma with a huge grin on her face.

Her grandmother smiled at her and let out a sigh. "I'm going to miss you so much, Emma. I've raised you since you were a baby, always holding your hand when you fell and comforting you when things went wrong. Now, I have to let you go off on your own and follow your dreams. It's been really hard on me, and I don't think it'll get any easier, but couldn't be happier for you."

"Grandma, you have nothing to worry about," said Emma. "I'm going to miss you too, but I'll call you everyday and tell you about all my problems if that makes you feel any better!"

"It does a little," she replied laughing. Her smile was quickly replaced my a serious expression, though. "Just promise me that you'll be safe and won't go looking for trouble."

"Of course I will. When have I ever gotten in trouble," Emma said. This eased her grandmother a little, but she still wore the stern mask on her face. Emma couldn't understand why she was so worried .She hadn't gotten in trouble at school since she was in first grade. Grace Jenkins had constantly teased her and made fun of her for not having any parents, so one day Emma had decided she wasn't going to take it any more. She poured milk down her shirt, which resulted in missing recess for a month and having to take sessions with the school counselor for the rest of elementary school. Since then, though, she had never broken another rule at school or even at home for the most part. Emma figured that part of that reason might have been that she never had any friends that would tempt her to get into any trouble, but she tried not to think about it. She was hoping that by having a fresh start at Delacroix, she might actually make some friends for once.

A few more hours in the car, and they had finally arrived. Emma stared out the car window as the grand and beautiful campus of Delacroix Dance Academy came into sight. As she looked past the vast landscape of forests and bright green grass, she saw many buildings scattered around the grounds, all of them intricately detailed and mesmerizing. Most of them seemed to be made of marble and had towers topped with elegant spires that stuck out beautifully in the clear blue sky. There was also quite a few restaurants and cafes throughout the campus that she had never heard of before. Emma had the feeling that if she had ever visited France, Delacroix would have had the same look and feel.

A tall wrought iron fence surrounded the academy. It was so tall in fact, that it would be almost impossible for anyone to jump or climb over it. One would have to go to the front gates, announce their names into a speaker, and show their identification that made it clear that they had authority to enter the premises.

Delacroix Dance Academy is in a secluded part of Washington that hardly anyone has ever seen. Only the students, the families of the students, and the faculty know the whereabouts of the academy. Emma felt extremely fortunate to be accepted into such a prestigious school of dance. The academy only let in about thirty new students a year, and she had been one of them. She could barely contain her excitement as her grandmother pulled to a stop in front of the drop off section.