“We don’t know what that piece of shit was planning and you can’t blame yourself. If he would’ve found her alone he would’ve done a lot worse.” Opie didn’t doubt that.

Chloe’s tearful words about all the pain Luke put her through rung through his ears. The rape...the bruises on her thighs. Jax knew if he didn’t change his thoughts he was going to be the one to run out of the hospital and find a fight. “How’s it going back at the compound?”

“Unser is handling the cleanup. It was obvious self defense and Hale can’t spin that any other way.”  Opie clamped his shoulder and lead him outside away from the nurses and loved ones of other patients littering the halls.

“Hey man.” Tig said, handing him a cigarette. “How’s our girl doing?” over the last several weeks Tig had grown pretty fond of Chloe, she cleaned, didn’t complain and she could kill you without blinking an eye. She was his type of woman.

“Still waiting for her to come out of surgery.” Opie answered. “Do we know if this guy she used to work for will want payback for all of this?” he was being the rational one thinking straight while both Jax and Clay were focused on Chloe’s health and the guilt they couldn’t shake over it.

Tig lit up another cigarette. “The SOB mentioned his boss was pissed about how she left. We can always say it was a personal beef between them and SAMCRO is clean but we should keep an eye out for someone trying to finish her off.”

“I’m not going anywhere.” Jax said, the treat hanging from his words daring anyone to try and hurt Chloe again. Politics be damned, he was ready to kill someone.

They finished off another round of smokes before venturing back into the hospital waiting room. Clay hadn’t moved from his spot against the wall, his eyes were distant lost in thought.

Gemma had stopped pacing and took an empty seat, her fingers were rapidly flipping through a magazine. Jax walked over and sat beside his mother, taking her hand in his as they continued to wait. They were going on four hours at the hospital.

Jax leaned into her side. “I think you should take Clay out of here.”

She glanced at her husband, her eyes welled up with tears over the pain she couldn’t ease for him. Her mouth was in a hard line trying to remain strong. “He’s thinking about everything he could’ve done different. I hate to see him like this but I know he isn’t going to want to leave until we know something. What about you, how are you doing? Why don’t we go stop in and see how Abel is doing.” she patted his hand and tried to focus on something else to avoid what she couldn’t control. She stood and didn’t wait for a reply as she dragged him along with her.

At the nursery Jax stood back and let his mother hold him first. The day had started out so positive with Abel getting a clean bill of health. They had spent hours at the hospital to spend time with the baby boy but now they were hear waiting to hear it Chloe was dead or alive.

Jax already knew life wasn’t fair, if it was his father and brother would be alive. But it was times like these those kicks from life to the teeth fucking sucked. He stared at his son and hoped Chloe and her baby could get the same miracle.

Gemma spoke and pulled him from his grim thoughts. “Have you decided what you’re gonna do when it’s time for this little guy to go home?” she asked.

He leaned back against the wall as his mother took the rocking chair. “I’m going to take him home to the room you fixed for him.” He never wanted to step back inside that house he shared with Wendy but his mom did a hell of a job cleaning up and changing it all around. Right now it was the perfect placer for his son. Abel needed a home, not a room at the clubhouse.

“Good.” They stayed for a few more minutes before heading back to the waiting room, Gemma didn’t want to leave Clay alone for look. Back in the room she went to his side and took his hands, kissing his cheek as she whispered something positive.

It was going on six hours since they all arrived to the hospital when the doctor finally came to tell them something. Tara came along to introduce Dr. Morgan to the family and break the news.

“Is my daughter alive?” Clay demanded, only then did he move from his stop against the wall to stand in front of the doctor.

“Yes.” The doctor was much shorter and older than Clay, it didn’t take much for him to become intimidated and need a second to collect his thoughts. “She suffered a lot of trauma and brain swelling. Right now we have to wait and see if she wakes from it.”

“Wait a minute doc.” Gemma said. “Are you saying she’s in a coma?”

“Yes, that’s not uncommon with the type of swelling she has. Once it goes down she should wake right up. The immediate danger right now is the pregnancy, she’s started to bleed and it looks like the fetus won’t survive.” Dr. Morgan tried to explain as easily as possible.

Jax stood back and felt a deep ache in his chest. Chloe wanted her baby and had been trying to hard lately to make a better life for her. Losing the baby was going to break her heart and he feared she wouldn’t survive it, if she survived this ordeal at all.