Chapter 22

"I don't know when we'll see each other again or what the world will be like when we do. We may both have seen many horrible things. But I will think of you every time I need to be reminded that there is beauty and goodness in the world." Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

----

Chapter Twenty - Two

"Clearly the Member for Highbury is spouting nonsense!"

"Mr Speaker!" cried the Member for Highbury in retaliation. "It is imperative that we as a people keep the grain prices high in order to secure maximum profit from trade! Perhaps the Member for Northcote needs one or two lessons in economics?" he teased across the floor.

The energy in the House of Commons was electric. Kit was in absolute awe, and had been for the past month he had been in London. He was sitting only a few rows back from the Prime Minister, who was now out of his seat enforcing his party's stance on the price of grain, much to the chagrin of the Whigs, and adding to the migraine of the Speaker. 

Kit had found much of parliamentary life to be arguing in the House, shouting across the room your position until it was time to retire for the day. The Whigs and the Tories seemed to be opposed on every single subject, and so one had to be prepared to put up a fight to pass any law.

Kit was learning every day. He was learning that it was not as easy as he had once thought to bring about social change once in parliament. He was young; possibly the youngest MP in the House, and so he was not experienced enough to put forth any of his own ideas yet. His role was to support his superiors, to gain their respect and support, before he could introduce any one of his ideas.

It was not easy either. Kit had a conscience, and there were many things that he might have had a different opinion on, but it was not the time yet.

The price of grain, for example, was a subject that Kit had an opinion on, and it was not one that reflected his party's. His heart said lower the price, but his head understood why they didn't want to.

These were small battles. The war was yet to be fought and won. Once he was able to introduce education reforms into parliament, the people of this country would be able to afford higher prices for grain.

Kit had been taken under the wing of Richard Ashcroft, one of the PM's ministers. Kit knew that he was seen as exciting within the party elders, the future of politics. His background excited them, particularly as he was the son of a self-made man and not a peer who had bought his son's way into the House. Kit was representative of the working man, or so they said, and would refresh and improve the image of the party.

Kit was happy to learn, and to pave the way to him having his say within the House.

When the House retired for the day, Kit met with Mr Ashcroft. Mr Ashcroft was older than Kit's father, at least by ten years or so. He was a seasoned politician, having held his seat for the past two decades.

"Just a few more days I wager," mused Mr Ashcroft, "and we'll have a vote on this issue and we can move on to the next. You ought to join us at the Club this evening, Kensington. I am certain that your youth will liven up our smoking party."

Kit laughed nervously. "I thank you for the invitation, Mr Ashcroft, but I fear I am already engaged this evening." How literal he hoped that would be.

"Ah, pity. Tomorrow then." And Mr Ashcroft departed.

Kit did not think that he would ever move past the grandeur that was the Palace of Westminster. To think it was where he was now employed. Kit exited out into Central London, onto the street overlooking the River Thames.