Chapter 2

Chapter 2

            Someone walked into my room at about five o’clock. I saw a man, a woman, and a little girl. ‘Who are they?’ I wondered to myself. The group walked towards me. The woman looked at my with a beautiful smile and started crying. Tears of joy I am assuming. She walked over to me and gave me a big hug and kissed my head. I did not know who they were, but I guessed they were my family that Dr. Aaron was talking about.

“Hi honey,” she said sweetly.

I looked at them, giving them a quick smile. “I am guessing you are my family?” I was hoping this was the case.

            Suddenly their smiles began to fade. They all looked at me in confusion, and I believe a little heartbroken. Just as the man was about to open his mouth and say something, the door opened and the doctor walked in.

“I am sorry, I did not know you were here. I just came in to check on my favorite patient,” Dr. Aaron said.

He looked over to the group standing in my room and noticed the look on their faces. The woman was in tears. The man comforted her in his arms. The little girl was standing there with her hear on the woman’s stomach, but did not cry. She looked at me with the softest eyes. “Mr. and Mrs. Kendal, do you mind having a seat. I want to talk to you about Austin,” Dr. Aaron said pointing with his hand to the seats on the side of the room. “I want you to know that I have just finished going over the rest of the tests. He is in really good health, other than his head trauma. Now this does not mean that he will not be able to remember, but it does not mean that he will. This is something that is going to take time. I would suggest that when he goes home tomorrow, you take as much time as you need to go through family pictures, talk about old memories, and anything else that you believe might help. Try not to let him get too stressed out. Some stress is okay and should not affect him much. Nevertheless, if he is too stressed, this could hinder the process of getting him to remember.”

He paused for a moment to give them time to think about everything he just said to them. “I know that this is a lot to take in right now, but the good news is that he is alive and healthy. If you have any questions that you would like to ask, I do not have any other patience to see. He is the last on for the night for me. I knew that this was a special case, so I wanted to make sure that you have all the time you need with me.”

The woman spoke first. “Can I just talk to him?” she whispered to the doctor. He shook his head. She walked over to me and laid her hand in mine. “Hi sweetie,” she said with a smile on her face. “It’s mommy. I know you might not remember me, but that is okay.”

I knew that I could not remember who she was, but I said, “Hi mom.” I knew that this was going to be hard on her, along with the rest of the family. I have never seen such a beautiful as I said those words. I knew that I just made her day.

“I just want you to know that I love you, and we will do whatever it takes for you to be happy. It is like a whole new start on life,” she said.

            She turned to the doctor and asked when they would be able to take me home. “I see no reason why he should not be able to go home tomorrow,” he said smiling at my overly enthusiastic mother. The man, I am guessing was my father, reached out and gave my mom a hug. They were both very happy to hear the news.

“There is no sign of swelling on his brain, and there is nothing else showing on his x-rays or any of the other tests. He should be fine, but I would like to see him again in just two weeks for a checkup,” Dr. Aaron said before he patted my on my shoulder and walked out of the room.

            Is it odd that I find him attractive? He is a very handsome man. Very caring, very sweet, and knows how to comfort you when you feel like your life just fell apart. Maybe that is all it was.

            Hearing the news, Sadie jumped out of the chair and ran over to me. She crawled into the bed with me and gave me a big hug. I know that I cannot remember much, but I felt like I have had that feeling before. Her hug was full of love and is rushed all over me. I hugged her back, trying to look back in my past, and that is all I could remember. All of her wonderful hugs. “Oh how I have missed your hugs,” I said with a smile on my face. I looked over and saw my mother running to me. She threw her arms around me in a tight hug.

“YOU REMEMBER!” she yelled. “Is that the only thing that you remember?” she asked.

I tried to reach back in my memories. But I could pull nothing from them. “Yes, I am sorry,” I said.

            My mother burst into tears, but I knew they were tears of happiness. “I don’t care. At least you remember something,” she said still relieved that I was still alive and well.

            We spent the next few hours talking about what our life used to be like. They showed my pictures of when I was younger. Each of them would take turns telling me about one thing that popped into their mind, and hardly waited before one finished before the other began telling another. There were so many memories that they were sharing with me, that I knew that they were trying to help, but I could not help but to become a little depressed from the lack of memories.

            I began to cry a little, and my mother noticed. She hugged me and began to cry with me. I tried to hold back the tears, but they just kept falling. Before I knew it, my dad was beside me and we were all hugging each other. A small sob came from his voice.

“I am so sorry that I cannot remember. I really want to, but I can’t. I know that it hurts all of you that I don’t, and for that I am so sorry,” I said.

“I don’t care how long it takes, or if it never happens. I am your mother, and I love you no matter what. We can always make new memories,” my mom said in my ear.

Those words made me feel so much better.