Chapter Twentyseven

Start from the beginning

Before my dad could even think about what I just said, my mother firmly said, "No. You can't. Now go up to your bedroom."

Instantly I was furious. "I have two parents." I shot at her hotly, shocking her. I turned to look at my dad, biting my lip and hoping for once he'd just give his opinion and get in the way of my mother's stiff personality. Mom stared at me with a stunned expression. 

"Um...I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. Staying in shape is always good for your health," Dad shrugged, looking at my mother who was already over it, scoffing. 

"Willard, do you really think she's going jogging? This is probably another excuse to see that Harry boy." Her eyebrows raised, almost like she was testing me. I was planning on seeing Harry while we jogged. Obviously, I wasn't going to say that. I knew she'd come at me for asking, so I used an honest excuse so I could prove that jogging was the only thing I was planning. 

The perks of having so much practice in this department.

I placed my hands on my hips. "Okay. You don't believe me? Then hand me the phone and I'll call Emily. I haven't had any way of contacting with anyone, so I'll put her on speaker while I talk to her about it. Bet you she already knows what I'm talking about." 

"Fine." My mother gnarled, handing me her cellphone. I sat down at the table with them, pressing down the numbers that belonged to Emily's phone. I pressed the speaker button and waited as the phone began to ring. When she answered, I immediately answered. "Hey, Emily, it's Serenity." 

I prayed she didn't say anything inappropriate. "Hey, chica." She greeted excitedly. 

"I was wondering if you're up for that jogging we talked about before," I spoke into the phone, looking down at the table and avoiding my mother's suspicious glares. 

Emily paused for a moment. "Oh! Yeah, I was actually going to ask you about that myself. My mom agrees that it's a good idea. It wouldn't hurt. I'll get dressed right now. Want me to go over or you come here?" 

I looked up at my parents for permission, and my dad nodded his head as mother turned away from me with an angry frown on her face. "I'll go over," I smiled. 

"Okay, see you in ten minutes!" 

With that, I hung up the phone. I handed my mother her phone back, which she didn't respond to so I just set it down on the table. She was wrong, and at being proven she was, now she's even angrier. But that's not my problem. The Harry thing she was right of and I think she knows that, but I'm still a little shocked she allowed me to go anyway. Or maybe she actually believed me. 

I thanked my dad and made my way into the fridge for a water bottle. Before I could leave, father called my name. "Serenity." I turned around, looking at his stolid facial expression. "I trust you." 

With a small smile, I tightened the grip on my water bottle and began to walk towards Emily's house. I'm feeling quite guilty about it, but there's just no way I'll cut things off with Harry for my parents. I'm surprised they expect me to. I've done so much already and I clearly expressed how much I like him, and still you think I'm going to stop from seeing him? Something doesn't sound right here.