11 | The Heart Beats

Start from the beginning

     Looking back now everything seemed to fit perfectly in Max's mind, as if all the pieces of the puzzle that were scattered about, all reformed and created the puzzle.

     When she had first met Lucas, Max had been a very different person, she had been an abused, angry teenager, not to say that she wasn't still, but she had also personally grown a great deal since then. Max had never been in charge of anything before, always being pushed to the side, and walked all over, it happened at home with Billy, and it happened at her old school in California. Hawkins had been a fresh start for her, a place where she could rebuild herself and the first thing she did when she got here was regaining power. That's what her relationship with Lucas was based off, control. She had all the control when they were together, every decision they made was her's, every argument they had she won, she never got any input from Lucas because she had the power, it was all her's. She realized she had wanted it so badly, she had created a whole dynamic based on it. That's where the first flaw lay.

     At first, she had liked the feeling, being able to do whatever she wanted without anyone telling her to stop, but as she got more and more involved with everything supernatural going on in Hawkins she began to see how wrong it was of her. Dealing with the upside down had changed her, and even if she didn't realize it then, it was a change she desperately needed. In some twisted way, the upside down had actually helped her, it steadied her, and gave a purpose to her life, she felt like she had something to fight for. The experience helped shape her into the person she was today, she no longer felt as if she needed to be in control of everything but instead she needed someone who could be as an equal to her. Someone who would work alongside her to figure out a problem, and come up with solutions together. She didn't need someone who would make her a whole, because she was already whole by herself, but she needed someone who could better her, someone who could make her realize her mistakes and face them, someone who would shine alongside her, someone who was intertwined with her, but never the same as her, and unfortunately for her, Lucas wasn't it.

     She knew what she had to do, and even though it hurt at the moment she knew deep down within her that it was the best thing to do, she had moved on, and it would be foolish of her to try and live in the past. She had a whole future ahead of her and she was finally ready to face it.

     "Lucas," she spoke her voice soft yet holding determination, "I think we should break up."

     Lucas's head shot up, his eyes wide and frantic, "No, please, why? Was it something I said because I didn't mean to say-"

     Max cut him off with a sad smile, she shook her head, "I'm so sorry. Believe me, it wasn't anything you said. I'm not mad at you, it's just these past few months have really changed me as a person, and I've grown so much. That doesn't mean I don't like you at all anymore, it just means that I don't have those kinds of feelings for you anymore, you're an amazing person and I was so lucky to call you my boyfriend, but I'm just not the same person I was when I met you."

     Lucas looked at her eyes glistening with tears, and though Max felt terrible about ending things so abruptly she knew that it was time to, she was listening to her heart instead of her head for once, and though she knew she had hurt him, she also knew that it was the best thing for her.

     "B-but I thought w-we where p-pe-perfect together?" he stuttered.

     "I thought so too, at least at the start. You where everything I needed, you listened to me, you never argued with me, and always let me be in charge, and at that time I needed that. You helped me heal, and for that, I'm forever grateful, but I'm at a place in my life where I don't need that anymore. I'm finally finished healing, and a great deal of the person I am today is thanks to you."

     "I can be your guy, I can be what you need me to be" He responded his eyes gazing up at her hopefully.

     She sighed, "I'm really sorry but I don't think you can."

     Neither of them said anything after that, Lucas was quietly fiddling with his cup refusing to look at Max, and Max didn't know what else to say.

     Finally, after minutes of them sitting in the tension-filled air, Max cleared her throat, she gestured towards the door, "I think I should probably get going."

     Lucas didn't say anything, only nodded his head.

     She stood up, and walked out the door. Maxine Mayfield wasn't sure about a lot of things in her life, but somehow deep down she had a feeling she had done exactly the right thing choosing to end the relationship when she had. 

     Hey guys! So this chapter definitely needs a lot of work and revision

     Hey guys! So this chapter definitely needs a lot of work and revision. I will go back and be editing it, however, I just want to finish this book before I go back and alter it, so that I can do everything at once. I had a huge writer's block, so that's why I haven't updated this book, and I'm so sorry about that, but ya know, what can you do? Anyways, this chapter really let me dive into Max's character and I hope you guys got a better understanding of her, and what she's going through. Remember, it's okay to change and grow, and the people you might have once needed in your life you might not need anymore, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be grateful for them, because they helped you be the person you are today. It's okay to let go of the past, and sometimes that's the only thing left to do. As usual please let me know if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes. Thank you guys for reading!

     DON'T BE A SILENT READER!

     VOTE & COMMENT.

     © all rights to stranger things & flames. 2018.

 2018