3 | An Unlikely Hero

"even in darkness there's light."

[ chapter three ] → an unlikely hero

     Max and Mike didn't talk much after that night, in fact, they had barely seen one another. It wasn't until the night of the snowball that they had come face to face once again.

     Max was thrilled when Lucas had asked her to the dance, and pushing all the thoughts about a certain raven haired boy, she had nodded her head yes, a smile gracing her features.

     Now standing in front of the mirror, looking at her reflection, Max wasn't sure going to the dance was such a good idea. She was wearing a blue and black striped dress, with a sunny yellow color on the borders. Her mom had tried to style her hair in an intricate bun, but Max being Max, just clipped her hair back and plaited a simple braid on the side of her head instead. Her mom sighed, looking at her hair, but her excitement returned when she held up a pair of glossy black heels. Max's eyes widened almost comically before she quickly shook her head,

"Absolutely not."

     Her mom sighed, "Maxine, you look so beautiful tonight and wearing these heels will really make you shine."

     Max inwardly cringed when her mother called her Maxine but didn't say anything else grabbing the shoes from her mother's hand before walking downstairs, where Billy was standing waiting for her.

     "Let's go,"

     He said dragging her towards the front door by her arm, his grasp tight. He let go of her for a second to open the door, and she had just enough time to grab a pair of worn out white converse before his hand was back on her arm hauling her outside into the chilly night.

     Once Max had stood up to Billy that night at the Byers house, he had been unpleasantly quiet around her, the physical abuse had reduced to a minimum, and the verbal abuse had completely stopped. Despite this Max knew that it was far from over, Billy was just laying low before he whipped up a storm and destroyed her. She was always on guard with him around, never knowing when the dam was going to break and set the water loose.

     The car jerked to a stop in front of the Hawkins Middle School, and Max quickly rushed out, not wanting to sit in the car with Billy a second longer. The moment her feet hit the ground, the car's engine roared to life and sped off, almost rolling over Max's foot in the process. She rolled her eyes at Billy's antics, before going over to the side of the building and switching the heels on her feet to her tattered converse.

     She was so focused on adjusting her shoes, she hadn't even heard Troy and his dwindling sidekicks come up to her before she had the heels she was holding in her hand thrown to the ground.

     "Hey,"

     She shouted looking up at Troy, upset that her mother's favorite heels now had scratch marks on them from the fall.

     He just snickered before pushing her back against the brick wall,

     "What do we have here. Little Maxine, all by herself hiding in the shadows. What happened? Did Lucas stand you up?"

     Max once again rolled her eyes, much to Troy's dismay.

     He roughly grabbed both her hands pinning them against the brick, he sneered down at her, his face inches from hers,

     "Lucas missed his chance, and now I've got mine."

     He smiled wickedly before descending down on her. She writhed under him, attempting to knee him but he had his foot pressed down on hers, leaving her completely and utterly defenseless.

     She felt the familiar sting in her eyes, feeling her vision get blurry from the tears she was trying to hide. Once his lips made contact with her neck though, she felt the first of the ocean in her eyes fall onto her pale cheeks.

     She had just closed her eyes accepting her fate, when she heard the slam of a car door and footsteps rapidly approaching,

     "What the fuck is going on here?"

     Max's eyes flew open as soon as she heard the voice. His voice. Mike Fucking Wheeler was standing in front of her, eyes dark, breathing hard, fists clenched at his sides. And he looked absolutely livid.

 And he looked absolutely livid

Ayyy! Cliffhanger. Don't worry I hate myself too. I know this is wayy shorter than the other chapters but I wanted to leave this at a cliffhanger, and up in the air.  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR 200 READS WTF?!? That's crazy, I love you all so much for reading, voting and commenting. I'm glad that you guys seem to like the book. Max and Mike's interactions will continue to grow I promise. Will update soon!! Thanks for reading!

DON'T BE A SILENT READER!

VOTE & COMMENT.

© all rights to stranger things & flames. 2018.

 2018