Chapter 1: The Reunion

Authors Note: Thank you for reading! I hope this all goes well. Feel free to comment and tell me your thoughts. 

"Let's go, Swan! Mary Margaret has been waiting in the car for ten minutes!" David yelled up the stairs, lead to the loft where a rather self-conscious blonde stood, staring at her reflection.

Her dark wash jeans, white tank top which sported a NYPD logo on the left breast, favorite pair of boots, and red leather jacket completed her look. The jacket was a must in almost everything Emma wore. It was the one article of clothing she'd treasured over the past few years. "I'm coming, damn," She muttered as she bounded down the steps, meeting the eyes of the taller blonde man at the bottom of the steps.

"Looking good, Swan." The comment drew a smile to Emma's lips as her arm whacked into the man's chest.

"Shut up, 'Charming'." the woman made fun of the nickname David's wife had given him many years ago.

___

The smell of the gymnasium, rubber, sweat and a dash of cheap cleaner to be precise, was the exact same as it had been just twelve years prior. The class was supposed to have a ten year reunion, but no one had been able to make it, so Mary Margaret settled for twelve. Twelve years, damn, time flew by. Everything was almost the exact same which led the feeling of comfort to wash over her nerves. "Emma Swan? Is that you? Ohmygod!" The high pitched voice pulled Emma from her thoughts, and her eyes were greeted by a tall brunette.

"Ruby? Wow, you look great!" the two embraced, and the brunette examined the blonde.

"Well, looks like a few years in the military did you well, Swan, or should I say Sergeant Swan?" Ruby's laugh erupted a small chuckle from the Sergeant.

"It's Captain Swan, but now I'm just working for New York PD. Emma will do, Rubes." She sends the woman a wink, but finds herself looking around the room, searching for a certain someone.

"Are you lookin-"

"No. David promised to bring me a drink back..." Emma interrupted, having purposely avoided the person Ruby was about to speak of. However, she knew the girl was right. She was looking for someone specific. That someone she had not seen in twelve years. The one someone she would kill to see once more.

December - 15 years ago

Emma glanced warily around the large classroom, she was later than normal and her usual seat was occupied which left the only open seat behind gorgeous dark curls. Maybe not being in her normal seat would be a good thing. Emma Swan had attended this English class many months, but she had never been able to gather the strength to talk to the one girl who could answer any question correctly. The dark haired beauty smelled of sweet vanilla as she moved her head to take a look at who decided to sit behind her. The blonde knew the smarter of the two had never made close friends, her mother Cora Mills kept that from happening. The poor Mills girl never had the chance to make friends, for everyone was terrified of the red headed woman who kept a tight leash on the girl.

"Hi, I'm Regina." Timid brown eyes met Emma's bold green ones, and those brown eyes held so much emotion within their depths.

With a short breath, Emma felt her lips curl up at the edges as she introduced herself, "I know who you are, a genius - the next Albert Einstein or Marie Curie... I'm Emma Swan. Let's just hope you don't die from radiation."

Present

Emma felt a tight squeeze on her bicep as she was pulled from her memory. "Hey, Swan. Here's the punch. Sorry, the wife had me help her fix a fallen pillar of balloons." David chuckled beside her.