Chapter XXX: In Search of the Sword

"That's all nonsense," said Curdie. "I don't know what you mean."
"Then if you don't know what I mean, what right have you to call it nonsense?"
 -- George MacDonald, The Princess and the Goblin

Dwarves, Hjalmar discovered in the next few minutes, were both like and unlike their depictions in fairy-tales. They were small, stocky people with long beards -- on both men and women, which took him by surprise -- but they had far more advanced technology than any fairy-tale said.

They had mine-carts that moved by themselves, and curious machines that worked at the touch of a button. Hjalmar was astonished to see two dwarves carrying on a conversation from opposite sides of a busy room by speaking into small boxes they held at their ears.

Compared to the dwarves, the two humans were almost giants. The tallest dwarf's head wasn't even on a level with Hjalmar's waist. They attracted very little attention, however. Most of the dwarves they saw hardly gave them a passing glance.

They must be used to seeing humans, Hjalmar thought. But what humans can they have seen? The whole world would know of their existence if the dwarves had much contact with the Athyens!

Their guide, a dwarf with a mop of bright red hair, led them along winding roads within the mountain until they came to a mansion built into a ledge. Just looking at the place made Hjalmar feel dizzy. It was built not only on the ledge, but into the stone around and beneath it. The entire building looked like it was one strong breeze away from collapsing and falling to the ground below.

Inside, the mansion looked like someone's workshop. Blueprints and diagrams were pinned to every wall. Tables covered with pieces of strange machinery lined the walls. A group of dwarves were gathered around one of the blueprints, arguing loudly in a strange language.

One of the dwarves detached himself from the group when he saw them enter.

"What's this?" he asked in a surprisingly loud voice for such a small person. "I didn't know we were expecting visitors."

Their guide bowed to him. "Your Majesty, these humans have a boon to ask of you."

"Your Majesty," Solvej said, bowing low. As she bowed, she nudged Hjalmar to let him know he should bow too. "We came to ask if you can tell us how to contact the Sky Queen, or where she may be found."

The Dwarf King combed his fingers through his beard thoughtfully. "And why do two humans wish to find the Sky Queen?"

Solvej told him the whole story as quickly and concisely as possible -- that the Magician had killed her and cursed Rigmor, that she and Hjalmar had broken the curse, and that they needed to borrow the Sky Queen's sword to kill the Magician.

"Hmm," said the Dwarf King. "We are only too well acquainted with this Magician. His goons have broken into our mines and stores. He cast a horrible curse on one of our mines that kills anyone who goes down there. I can certainly tell you how to find the Sky Queen, but I can't guarantee she'll let you borrow her sword."

~~~~

"Are you sure we'll be able to follow those directions?" Hjalmar asked after they left the dwarf city. "'Follow the path of a moonbeam on the sea until you come to a silver-lined cloud'? It sounds like something from a fairy-tale!"

"Of course it does," Solvej said. "This is a fairy-tale. Haven't you realised that yet?"

Hjalmar frowned. She had a point, he supposed. Any story with witches, cursed princesses, Magicians, merfolk and dwarves in it was by definition a fairy-tale. But it was disconcerting to be bluntly told that he was living in one.