19.

lee donghyuck, patient 0035

donghyuck slowly opened his eyes to be met by the white ceiling hovering above him, his most hated scent bringing him to his senses— the hospital smell.

i'm... not dead?

the sting of the iv hit his veins as he looked around him, still perplexed. his frail body tried to lift itself up from the soft sheets, but he noticed he wasn't alone.

beside him, was a drooling nahee with her elbows prepped on the bedside and head rested on it, and he couldn't help but smile at the sight.

he tried to shake her carefully from her slumber, and after a few calls she had woken up, wiping the drool on her face with the sleeves of her sweater. she looked up to see haechan smiling at her, a rare sight.

"hi." he muttered.

"how are you? does anything hurt? do you want me to call the doctor? or do you want something to drink? are you hungry? you want to go to the bathro—"

"no, relax. i don't want anything."

he smiled at how cute the girl was. he wondered how the hell she found out about his situation, but right now it didn't matter, as the girl he loved was already there with him.

"how did you..."

yes, but the curiosity took the best of him.

"oh, it's miss kim... i was worried, it's not her fault, i forced her into telling me where you were that day because i couldn't focus on anything knowing you're not around." she looked down and fiddled with her fingers.

"you don't have to explain, I understand." haechan muttered and he managed to crack a little smile for the girl. he was really thankful she came, despite all the things he had done to push her away she never left his side.

"why are you not mad at me?"

haechan chuckled, "just because. do you want me to get mad at you?"

"yes, i guess?" nahee answered which made him a little confused.

why would she want him to get mad at her? was it perhaps because she had gotten used to haechan shoving her off?

"you being mad at me would make it easier for me." she looked down and fiddled with her fingers, making haechan more confused that he was.

"what do you mean?" his eyebrows furrowed.

"by the way, your parents went home to get more stuff they need, and the doctor said the surgery will be performed tomorrow." she quickly changed the topic.

haechan rose up from his bed and it made nahee a little worried, he was not yet fully stable to move a lot but it made her happy that he was smiling now, something she had always wished to see in him.

"i have a donor?!" he exclaimed, eyes wide open.

"yes, yes you do. i'm so happy for you!" nahee smiled back and was a bit taken aback by haechan suddenly pulling her to a tight hug.

haechan felt so fluffy like a marshmallow. it was the first time nahee had the chance to be close to him like this, and it felt very nice.

she was glad that she made him happy. she was glad she was giving him something she treasured more than anything else. she was happy. he made her happy.

"haechannje, i love you." she whispered to his shoulders.

the latter didn't know how to respond, should he just tell her too? no, he wanted to save it for the next day, once the operation is successful and over he's willing to take her and make her his.

he chose to remain silent.

"you don't have to say anything." she muttered.

"no, nahee listen—"

"i love you, always take care of yourself." nahee pulled away from the hug, the dysphoria taking over her like shit, she wanted this to be easy for her but it was hard.

but she had to, so she stood up from the bed and gathered her belongings before walking back towards him and bending down to his level.

she kissed him on the forehead and smiled at him before proceeding to open the door, waving her hands.

"bye, haechannje. see you soon." she managed to crack him a little smile and a wave. she was surely going to miss everything about the guy he loved the most.

she took one last glance at the boy, absorbing every inch of his features, trying to remember them all at once, only for a very short moment— so she could have this beautiful memory until her last breath.

"no pick-up lines today?" haechan asked.

the latter just chuckled, "okay then. are you momoland?"

"why?"

"because you make my heart go bboom bboom!!"