[ 01 ] eavesdropping

Start from the beginning

''I'm still scraping up parts to fabricate a pressure regulator,'' Raven informs, voice strained, it sounds like she's in full action, ''we got two more days, right?''

It must mean they're leaving soon, both of them.

''Can we launch without that part?'' The heavy footsteps finally stop, indicating that Abby has quit pacing. I shut my eyes tightly, barely keeping my body from sliding down that wall. So they are definitely going to leave me.

''We could launch, but we'll be dead before we get to the ground. And I mean bad dead. Ruptured lungs, air bubbles in the brain. We need that part,'' the warning voice of my best friend explains slowly.

An uneasy pause. ''Why? What's wrong? Did something change?'' Raven then asks uneasily, but the sounds of electric-like buzzing appear again, showing that the girl is still working hard, just like she usually does. The thought of Raven's industrious actions is almost enough to bring a smile on my face, but it falls as soon as the next words leave Abby's mouth after a moment of hesitance.

''Clarke's wristband signal went out.'' What wristband signal?

I assume my friend has stopped in her tracks, and the silence she enforces carries the weight of the world across the room, but then she breaks it with a soft voice, ''Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything, right? She took it off like the rest of them.''

Silence. Deafeaning silence, if you don't pay attention to the usual sounds of different mechanisms.

''Okay,'' the voice of my best friend reaches my ears again, ''I can get a pressure regulator. Today.''

''How?'' Abby inquires. I peek at them, swiftly pulling my head back when I see them standing inches away from one other.

''The less you know, the better,'' Raven states and I can almost hear the smug grin on her face when she does so.

Hearing footsteps nearing me, I rush to escape from my position right next to the doorway, only to pull a terrifyingly characteristic me moment that just screams the name Emily!

What I mean is, I hit my toes against a steel table, resulting in me letting out a big, juicy swear word as an alarmed Abby rushes into the room next to them, Raven hot on her heels.

''Emily?'' Abby stares at me, dumbfounded.

''Hey! I was just, uh.. checking the materials," I give a nervous chuckle, balancing my whole weight on one foot, eye practically twitching in pain.

''Yeah? For what?'' Raven wonders, eyeing me skeptically. I gingerly meet Abby's gaze and let loose a heavy sigh, knowing that I could totally be in for a possible lecture.

''How much did you hear?'' The older woman questions, her tone steady and calm, but her eyes betray her, showing the silent storm raging behind them. Her façade still doesn't crack under the pressure other than that.

I, figuring that I am most likely about to lose this battle, lean against the same table that had just caused my pain and immense suffering, ''Everything. And I won't tell anyone, you don't have to worry about that. I just.. I want to go with you. And I want to know what's exactly happening, the only thing I know is that my friends got taken away, possibly sent to die, while my only friend on the Ark is about to leave with my boss!''

Raven and Abby, stuck in silence, share a glance, the both of them looking back at me with equally displeased expressions.

''Look, Emily, it's not that simple. You're Kane's daughter, you can't just disappear. We're using an old, small pod. It doesn't even have that much space..'' Abby then tries to reason with me, gently placing her hands on my shoulders.