Chapter Five

This chapter is dedicated to a special friend of mine who has an amazing book that is genuinely hilarious, i haven't laughed so hard in....ever. She is also a first timer with the Wattys and we have been helping each other along! I would really appreciate you having a look at her book! <3

 Edited by @XxJemanixX

Chapter Five 

**Unknown POV** 

In a small, dark and dingy room stood a man. He was immaculately dressed with a haughty look upon his face as he stared down at the second man who was currently residing upon his knees, a whimpering mess. 

“Did I not tell you to keep an eye on the comings and goings of Duncombe Park, Stanley? The new appointed Duke of Cambridge should not have left your sight! For years we have been meaning to station near his royal highness so that we are close enough for attack and what do you do?! You have yourself booted out of the household, accused of thievery! Am I not paying you enough, you imbecile?!” His rant left him breathless and his hair that was slicked back with grease and tied at the base of his neck with a ribbon, came undone. His frustration was clear with the older man at his feet.  

“I is sorry Master. Ol’ habits is what it is! I never meant anyfin by it!” 

Stanley’s street talk disgusted the more pristine gentleman and he kicked him away with his polished boot. 

“Leave, fool before I have you escorted out.” 

He whimpered one last time, but left, happy to have escaped with his life.  

After he had his men drag Stanley away to his death he swung around to face the small fire burning away in the grate. The embers glowed on his face, exposing the evil that lay past his polished exterior.  

***End*** 

“What is the meaning of this?!” Emma cried out as trunk after trunk lined the room. The servants refused to neither answer her nor look at her. No man ever entered her room and the girls that did, never spoke to her. 

What on earth was going on? After finding John holding her improperly in the morning, chaos had ensued. Starting with her having accidentally booted him off the bed whereby he landed with a thud and a painful groan. After that he had left to attend to some important matters, that she suspected was a glass of brandy in his study and had left her to be subjected to measurements and now this. Trunks full of, she assumed, clothing and trinkets not to mention jewellery!  

Emma could never accept such extravagancy she knew deep down that this was not the way of things for her. She was no lady nor did she intend to carry the pretence of being one.  

Enough was enough, Emma decided, and strode out of the room that had been her prison, long enough for her to have lost count. Hurrying down the enormous hallway her anger slowly dissipated as it became increasingly obvious that she was lost. This stranger going by the name of John had accommodated her for nigh a week or two and she knew not the way around his establishment. This was simply not done. 

Strengthening her resolve Emma began to open every door she came across in every hallway. She gathered that the left wing held the servants and staff quarters as well as several guest bedrooms and a large kitchen on the ground floor. The right wing in contrast held the more lavish bedrooms and a parlour as well as an attending room and a library, out of breath and extremely worn out Emma paused at the last door she had yet to try. She greatly suspected this would be John’s study. 

Knocking tentatively on the hard wooden door, she waited. There was no answer. Emma knocked again and again and yet again, but he either refused to answer or he was not in the room at present. Either way her curiosity took the better of her and she slowly twisted the door handle and stepped inside. The room was empty of John.