Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

“Fucking stop it!” I groaned.

-

That night we all fell asleep in different spots, but when the morning came, we all seemed to be huddled up into one big sandwich again. It must have been the night chills. Luckily, I was the first to wake up so I was the only one who had to know it was awkward.

I stood up carefully, pushing Frank’s hand off my hip and Gerard’s forehead off my shoulder. There was now a small gap between them, they slept so peacefully, time seemingly stopping on their faces.

We were up and walking around at what I assumed to be 8 in the morning, or at least what my body clock assumed.

We reached the end of the tunnel about 2 hours later, our bodies sore, our stomach’s growling, and our throats parched dry.

There were a few flights of stairs we had to climb and we found ourselves in a small shed in the middle of nowhere. Luckily, there was no one waiting for our arrival. Which we expected since Lucas himself who found us in the tunnel.

“So, where’s this bus stop?” I said quietly.

“Just down the road.” Gerard replied.

“Right.” I said sarcastically.

“Frank, tell your girlfriend to shut the hell up.” Gerard pressed his fingers to his temple in a stressed manner.

“Tell her yourself,” He chuckled.

“Alls i’m saying is you said we’d be there soon, yesterday, and then we ended up staying the night. And then we ended up killing another person.”

“Well you know what, Lana honey, I didn’t hear you complaining when you got laid. In fact complaining wasn't what I heard at all.”

“Oh shit, you pulled the slag card again! I’m so offended!” I rolled my eyes.

“Will you two shut the fuck up,” Frank shook his head.

I stopped talking and just followed Gerard out of the shed, having to cover my eyes because the sun was too bright. When my vision adjusted, I could indeed see a pavement road, ending with a bus stop.

-

We got off in the city, as nearest to Gerard’s house as possible. We ran almost the whole way, through back alleys, to avoid being seen by anyone.

When we walked into his house, ran to the kitchen, and gulped down about a litre of water each. The place was untouched, nothing changed, no one present. This was looking up for us.

“Lana and I will run to her place, pack some bags just in case, and meet you back here. Call if anything happens.” Frank said to Gerard.

“Be careful. If I don’t hear back from you when the clock hits midnight, I’m gone. I have to go.” He sighed.

“We know.” Frank said, grabbing my hand and guiding me out the door.

-

I stared out of car window, thinking of the worst case scenarios and the best.

“What if something happened to my mom, Frank?” My eyebrows furrowed.

“You need to stay positive. Don’t get ahead of yourself, we don’t know anything.” He nodded, looking straight on.

We were coming just around the block and my heart was beating faster and faster. I could see police sirens reflecting off the houses.

We drove up to Frank’s driveway and I looked in horror at the scene before us. My mom was outside of the house in a blanket, crying and talking to the police.