Red Velvet Cake (+ Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe)

Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup butter, softened

2 cups granulated sugar

4 eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup milk (if you use nonfat milk, be sure to add some half and half or cream for fat)

1 bottle (about 1 tablespoon) red food coloring

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.

2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

3. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes on a medium speed).

4. Beat in eggs one at a time.

5. Add sour cream, milk, food color, and vanilla.

6. Slowly mix in the flour mixture at a low speed until fully blended. Be careful not to overbeat!

7. Pour into the prepared pans (remember to fill only about 3/4 of the way because they will rise) and bake for 35-40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

8. Allow to cool completely in the pans before you remove the cake.

9. To remove from the pan, loosen the sides by running a butter knife around the edge of the cake. Place a plate, face down, over the top of the pan. Hold the two together as you flip them over. You may have to tap the pan a bit or jiggle it, but it will come out and you'll have a smooth surface to frost:)

10. Add any decor you wish. Cut it up and enjoy!

Feel free to serve with a dollop of vanilla icecream on top!

Vanilla Cream Frosting

Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter, softened

2 tablespoons sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 cups confectioners sugar (you can alway add more sugar to stretch the frosting)

Directions

1. Beat together cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.

2. Slowly add in as much confectioners sugar as needed. Beat until smooth. If this isn't enough frosting, you can always add more sugar.

3. Fill and frost cooled cake.

This cake is so moist and dense and tastes like heaven when paired with the frosting. Feel free to serve with some icecream or coffee.

I made this for the Fourth but I think if I make it again during winter time, I'll trade out the vanilla extract in the frosting for peppermint for a chocolate/mint combo (one of my favorites)!

Hope you enjoyed this recipe! More recipes to come soon!