2 - TOUGH DECISIONS

Start from the beginning

Chantelle licked her lips, nodding. She was mostly a painter, but she could work with a variety of mediums, she had taken a variety of classes at art school. Not to mention the point of the gala was simply alluring, the idea of finally having a large scale audience—the gallery was incredibly well known—listening to a group no one ever wanted to listen to, the idea of not contributing seemed almost blasphemous.

"How long do I have to think this through?" she asked, motioning towards the folder, setting down her hands and taking a sip of her coffee.

"Truthfully," Eliza began, looking increasingly more apologetic, "We had waited to even reach out to you in the first place, most of our artists have already begun, as this is a very tight time constraint. We can only give you five days to think."

"That's more than enough time," she replied, checking the folder quickly to see her deadlines, "I've had galleries that demanded paintings in much less time than this, if I accept, there won't be any problems getting the pieces done."

She hoped.

With nothing else to converse about, the two parted ways, solidifying their emails and Eliza thanking her for agreeing to consider the offer, and Chantelle explaining why she even wanted to, glad to see the bright smile that she evoked from it.

Sighing, Chantelle pulled out her phone and texted Amanda. She needed someone to talk to about this.

º º º

"Pretty."

Chantelle smiled as the small five-year-old in her lap signed out the word, pointing towards her hearing aids. They were an orange-red color with a swirled effect for the ear mold, and were often the only pop of color in her usually darker clothing style The little girl reached out towards them, but Chantelle stopped her, shaking her head.

"I need these," she explained, signing carefully. The little girl nodded and instead went back to playing with her shirt collar.

Chantelle always liked going back to volunteer at the center whenever she could, finding that it had expanded to almost being a daycare at times, as the people who worked there were much more understanding than regular nannies. She swung by whenever she could to help watch over the children, it was soothing for her.

"Chantelle!"

She turned and smiled, finding her neighbor, Nikki, making her way over, eagerly waving with one hand before going back to pushing at her wheels down the wide hallway towards the gate keeping the children from wandering off.

"Hi," Chantelle said, crouching down, looking at her through the gate.

"Hi," Nikki laughed, "It's good to see you, you've been holed up in your apartment working, Amanda said, what're you doing now?"

Amanda and Nikki had been dating for a few years, Nikki also frequently volunteering when she wasn't working as one of the best defense attorneys at her law firm, and she had become a main fixture in Chantelle's life, always appearing in her grey blazers and skirts, with a bright smile that hid the fact she could verbally obliterate someone if she wanted to.

"I was supposed to be relaxing, but I guess I found myself another job," Chantelle sighed, moving to sit down as she rolled her neck, groaning, "I'm still debating on whether or not I want to take it, because I checked what they're going to pay, it's really good."

"Then what's the problem?" Nikki joked, genuinely curious as she furrowed her brow.

"It's gallery work," Chantelle sighed, and Nikki sucked in a breath, humming lowly as she nodded in understanding.