contest winner.

everything has a start to it, though it feels as if your admiration for youtuber imallexx has been a concept since day one; it's as if (borderline) love throws the conception of anything structural out of the window. sure, alex doesn't show his audience everything about him and not every last thing is known about him, but you find it difficult not to fall for what he does choose to put on public display. you're unsure of what it is exactly-- the stupid tongue jokes that shouldn't even be that funny that still manage to steal a laugh of yours, the jumpcuts of sudden clips of distortion, or maybe just his contagious laughter, but whatever it is has you head over heels for a guy who hardly knows who you are.

     the word "hardly" rings true with a positive tone in your head-- i mean at least he kind of knows who i am, you think as you check your phone notifications that take you back to your instagram fan account for him. he'd liked a couple of pictures of yours before, but you found it odd because you've never taken the time to tag him in anything. you had lots of friends in the community who all had accounts similar to yours, making the fandom another amazing reason to love alex. without alex, you definitely wouldn't have met some of your best friends. refreshing your likes and direct messages on your fanaccount @cherishingalex before closing out of the app. you press the side button of your black iphone 8 to turn it off for now,  only to see he's posted a new tweet. going to check it, your eyes seem to twinkle with joy without even thinking about it.

imallexx - @imallexxtv 

 Check out my new video, watch until the end for an important                                                    announcement! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMj1ALBCn8s

                               🗨️ 17                ♺ 180                ❤︎  390

     quickly clicking into the youtube link when reaching for your apple headphones, your phone continuously vibrates from group chat notifications but they're going too fast for you to even bother trying to read them. besides, it's a group chat filled with fans, why aren't they watching alex's new video? swiping up and selecting the moon icon to put your phone on do not disturb, you swipe back down and press play with earbuds in the corresponding ears. 

     it doesn't take long to realize that this is the same exact video he posted only a short time ago, the squarespace sponsored video continues to play while your eyebrows get closer together while you let out a "hmm?" and you decide to skip to the last minute and a half of the video because of what he tweeted. he says the same thank yous to the sponsor and it leaves you more confused, closing out and going to check on the group chat. it's a bunch of " OHYMH FGOPDSL" and "NO FDHSGNJDSKNG" but you don't understand the hype.

group chat

@cherishingalex (you): WHATS GOING ON HERE

@alexsbbgrill: SA)OGKDGK

@imnotallexx: THEYRE HERE 

@allexxtv: DIDOYU WATCH UNTI L THE END 

@cherishingalex: waSNT IT THE SAME EXACT VIDEO FROM THE OTHER DAY 

@tvallexxim: NOASFDJI 

@cherubicalex: HE TALEKDABOTU YOU 

@cherishingalex: WHAT 

@imnotallexx: LOOK

     your friend proceeds to attach a screen recording of the same video you swear you just watched, but to be fair clicked out of before it ended. pressing the play button in the middle of the thumbnail, you adjust the volume on your earbuds again and listen to what you were only just viewing. he starts speaking, "so, thank you guys for watching this video and hopefully i'll catch you in the next one." you start to relax and prepare to prove your point that it's the SAME EXACT VIDEO FROM THE OTHER DAY as his normal outro music starts to get louder. that is, until your friends are right and the outro never arrives, intercepted by him in a different outfit beginning to speak again.

     "you made it, i'm... i'm shocked," he does one of his iconic distorted jumpcuts and you crack up for a second just to follow that with immediate silence as he says, "so, a couple of months ago, i said i'd try to meet one of you and i figured a contest would be the best way to choose someone in a fair way. if you need a refresher, last time i was sponsored by squarespace i followed up at the end by saying whoever can make the best website with my promotion code will win something really cool. i've decided that the prize would be a day with me and trust me, i think i've found the winner." your heart doesn't stop, it actually speeds up its beats if anything while he continues his dialogue. you remember your friends saying that he mentioned you, so this can only mean one thing. he saw your meme website you made just for the kicks of it, not thinking you'd actually win what was mentioned. 

     "i don't have any worries of this person not seeing this part of the video, actually they probably skipped to the end as soon as they realized what was happening," he lets out a laugh and your hands start to shake, your face heating from a mixture of your anxious tendencies and general nervousness. did alex really notice me like this? you think to yourself, he's liked a couple of your posts and he's watched your instagram story from time to time but it's never been anything like this. "the winner of the contest had the funniest website out of the rest, it was just really.... really unflattering screencaps of me while i was talking and i have to say.. it was pretty funny." he gives the person credit with another laugh escaping and your hands can barely hold your phone, clammy at this point. a lot of fans made websites similar to that one, could it really have been yours that won this? your self contradictions stop as soon as a screencap of your instagram pops up beside him and he finishes his dialogue before the normal outro plays, "congratulations to cherishingalex on instagram. please message me back as soon as possible."