Chapter 3 - A Really Bad Day

Start from the beginning

Curse Stephan's incessant ability to discover something new to find attractive about this fucker every time he came in here since finding that note on the bottom of his cup: First ass, now hands... Maybe he'd find Minh's eyebrows attractive next, it could only be a matter of time.

Speaking of eyebrows, just when Stephan discovered his newfound hand kink and was legitimately beginning to worry he might cream his jeans, Minh turned those harry suckers on him, familiar scowl set firmly in place and a friendly snarl to match. "Have you started experimenting with cocaine? You always did look like a druggie." The barista scoffed humorlessly, letting Stephan know he must've been doing a piss poor job at hiding that nervous excitement.

"They always say caffeine is a gateway drug." Stephan agreed easily with a shrug. "But, no, not yet, I'm thinking of doing heroin and then pills before moving onto coke. Gotta take it slow." The brunette joked, earning an exasperated eye roll as usual, but not missing the quiet huff of a laugh that escaped Minh's lips. 

"Just don't go for nicotine and you should be in the clear, since you've already got the caffeine addiction of a white girl and all." Minh stated dryly with an elaborate roll of his eyes, as if he half expected Stephan to do just that the moment he turned his back on him.

"Aw! You do care!" Stephan teased nervously, feeling brave and hoping his voice didn't crack out halfway through to reveal the utter anxiety that came with uttering the words he so wanted to be true, feeling a blush creep up the back of his neck and hoping to god Minh had shitty eyesight so he wouldn't see the pink twinge undoubtedly marring the kid's cheeks right now.

Minh's dark eyes went wide for a moment, a visible blush splashing across the barista's face as he opened his mouth to say something then snapped it shut again, looking as if he'd been caught in the act of some guilty crime. As the boy reopened his lips to try again, however, a coworker, some girl with long hair tied back in a messy bun, flagged him over and he turned to make his retreat. The chick whispered something Stephan couldn't quite catch to the guy and he hissed something equally quiet back. It went on like this for a few minutes before Minh finally stalked away, looking more pissed off than usual and staring firmly at the ground as if it had personally insulted him as he went off in the direction Stephan knew the breakroom to be in and the girl sauntered to the cash register.

"And what can I get you?" The woman asked eagerly, leaning forward on the counter as she spoke and blinking through long lashes slowly as a wide smile spread across her face, her red lipstick glimmering in the dim light of the cafe.

Stephan didn't answer for a long moment, his eyes trailing Minh as the guy stormed into the break room and slammed the door heavily behind him without sparing anyone a second glance, leaving silence and uncertain glances from confused customers in his wake. In Stephan however, his sudden departure just left a feeling of utter shittiness, a horrible, stomach churning sensation that felt like someone had laid a massive boulder directly atop the brunette's frail frame. His stomach twisted in protest as the brunette tried to open his lips to relay his order and his chest constricted painfully as he snapped his mouth shut again and had to face the facts.

Facts like, his order was too long, this girl wouldn't remember it if he told her; and more importantly, he was in for a lovely bout of unrequited crushing. Minh had left, so, obviously, Stephan's wild imagination had twisted the aspects of reality to let the teen think for even a moment his feelings were returned. The brunette was either going to have to never get coffee from his favorite shop again or do so with the unceasing ache of an unreturned crush eating at him. Stellar choices.

"What can I get you?" The girl chirped energetically, once more, as if under the impression Stephan hadn't heard her the first time, beaming as if the whole world were made of chocolate cake and she had an all you can eat pass. Stephan, meanwhile, was getting the same, "world made of cake" vibe, though in his version he was a type two diabetic.