The Picture

Emma and Sofia trudged up a large hill in seemingly the middle of nowhere. Both had a less than happy look on their face as they wandered behind Jenny who was marching in front of them, a hint of anger in every step she took.

She called it the 'Isolation Cabin', a cabin that was separate from the main camp and one that sat at the top of a very steep hill. No one had said a word to each other since they set off to the cabin that morning. A few deathly stares were exchanged between Sofia and Emma when Jenny picked them up from their original cabins but she made it very clear that not a single syllable was to be heard from either of them as they walked.

Emma hitched her duffel bag further up her shoulder as she huffed. Sofia stared at the floor as if the many twigs and small stones littered all over the pathway were the most interesting things ever. Both of them had been dreading the moment when they'd finally be left alone in the cabin as neither wanted to be cooped in there, stuck with each other; the idea of having to spend more than ten minutes in each other's presence was not one that appealed to either Emma or Sofia. Both let out a frustrated sigh at that very moment.

They had finally reached the cabin and Jenny came to a halting stop. She turned around to face the girls, a stormy look on her face.

"Now, I don't need to explain to you why you're here," She started. "When you are not doing scheduled activities, you will stay in this cabin. During your free time you will stay in this cabin. At breakfast, lunch and dinner you are to sit at a separate table and are not to talk to anyone else. As punishment for all the pranks you have carried out you will help the cooks clear away after lunch today. Is that understood?"

Sofia and Emma weakly looked in Jenny's direction. "Yes, Ma'am." They said together.

Jenny nodded. "Right, good. I will be back to collect you when lunch begins and know that if I hear a peep out of either of you I will strongly consider sending you both home. Now, go on, get settled. Maybe you can try and find a middle ground while you're at it." And with that Jenny left, walking through the middle of Sofia and Emma in the direction they came from, leaving them alone.

Emma's gaze held onto Jenny as she walked off and then she turned to face Sofia who only gave her a look of exasperation before turning around and walking up the many steps to the cabin. Emma followed her but no words were exchanged between the two.

***

A thick silence hung in the air as the girls unpacked their things.

Sofia got the bed on the right side of the cabin so Emma chucked her duffel down on the bed closet to the door. Still no one said anything. The silence could've been considered uncomfortable and awkward had it not been for the circumstance they were in; at this point Sofia would rather talk to literally anyone else than Emma. Heck, she could've had a full blow conversation with a brick wall and she still would've enjoyed it more than any conversation she could have with Emma.

Every action Sofia carried out she did with force. She tossed her clothes in the draws, she slammed the draws shut, any books she brought with her she threw onto her bedside table and then, when she was finished unpacking, she took out her phone and ear phones, chucked herself onto her bed and blocked out anyone and everyone (mainly Emma) by playing her music. The whole time, Emma looked up from her unpacking every now and then, mainly when Sofia slammed something onto a surface, but she remained calm.

Of course, she wasn't happy, in fact she was furious, but she knew that there would be no point in lashing out at anyone at this current moment in time; she didn't want to get into any more trouble than she already had so she kept her mouth shut. When she finished unpacking, she pulled out a book of her own from her suitcase and set it out on the bed, but she didn't actually read any of it. Instead she thought about the remaining weeks she had left at camp, where she'd be stuck in the isolation cabin with Sofia. She thought about home and her mind wondered to her mum. Would her mum have been mad at her for getting into so much trouble? It's not exactly like she was a saint herself when she was Emma's age but even so Emma wasn't so sure if she would agree with everything she'd done. She'd hate to think that she'd disappointed her mum.