Chapter 1

It's been 5 years ever since Batman adopted Tim and Jessica. Over that time, Tim became Batman's sidekick and was now called Robin. Robin loved what he did. He fought crime with Batman and beat up criminals. He liked the fact that Batman took him and his sister in after the death of his parents.

Jessica helped Batman and Robin at times. She decided she wanted to be called Jessie; short for Jessica. She helped from the Bat cave by explaining what was going on in places they needed to be through a headset. Unlike Robin, she was still trying to accept the fact that her parents were gone. With the thing she saw that day, she couldn't let go.

Batman loved Robin and Jessie like they were his own. He got to know them over the years and loved everything about them. Even though he knew he couldn't be the one to replace their parents, he loved being a father figure to them. Robin had moved on and accepted the facts. But Batman knew that Jessie needed time.

Right now, they were all eating dinner. Comissioner Gordon had made Shrimp Scampi and salad, which was Jessie's favorite meal.

 Comissioner Gordon had made Shrimp Scampi and salad, which was Jessie's favorite meal

This meal was about the only meal she would actually finish. Other times she would only eat a couple bites and say she was done. But tonight was different; she wasn't hungry at all. She only ate half of what was on her plate. Now she was twirling her fork in her food. Comissioner Gordon noticed this.

"Miss Jessie, why aren't you eating?" He asked.

"I'm not that hungry tonight." She answered truthfully, still twirling her fork.

"Why? you usually lick the plate clean and ask for seconds when we have this meal." He replied.

"I don't know. Just save the rest for me. I'll be in my room." She said and walked off.

Comissioner Gordon took Jessie's plate to the kitchen. Batman was a little concerned about Jessie.

"Robin, will you go check on your sister?" He asked.

Robin nodded and went to his sister's room. He opened her door and saw her laying on the bed looking out the window. He frowned and sat next to her.

"Hey Jess. . .you alright?" He asked.

Jessie continued to stare out the window as tears burned her eyes. Her throat was in pain from holding it in. Robin frowned even more seeing his sister like this. His placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Please talk to me." He begged.

Jessie took a deep breath, "I miss Mom and Dad."

Robin knew his sister had it hard for trying to move on. He pulled her into his arms and Jessie's tears fell like raindrops. He gently stroked her hair while she quietly sobbed into his chest. He hated seeing her like this; sad, broken, underweight, and anti-social. The goal he made for himself was to protect his sister and make her smile.

"I know it's hard, Jess." He said.

"Why did it have to be them?" She asked.

"I don't know, sis." He sighed, "I don't know."

Jessie cuddled into Robin's chest. Suddenly, the window shattered and smoke was everywhere. Then psycho laughing was heard. Robin and Jessie coughed until the smoke cleared out. They look up and see. . .the Joker.

His evil grinning smile gave chills down Jessie's spine. He forcefully took Jessie out of Robin's arms. Robin gasped and Joker laughed.

"Thanks for the test subject, Boy Wonder." He grinned and disappeared.

"ROBIN HELP!" Jessie yelled.

Robin rushed back to Batman.

"Batman! Joker kidnapped Jessie!" He yelled worriedly.

"Let's suit up." Batman replied.

Joker locked Jessie in a cage that was above a huge tub of chemicals his mixed together to make a glowing purple color.

"Let me go you psycho clown!" Jessie yelled.

Joker clenched his chest and pretended to be offended, "Oh ouch! How dare you go as far as to call me a psycho clown!"

"Then let me go!" She yelled again.

"You think your 9 year old words hurt me, Jessie?" Joker smiled.

"No but I know Batman and Robin will hurt you real bad for kidnapping me." She replied.

Joker laughed, "You mean your foster dad and older brother?"

"YES!"

"I doubt that." He replied.

Just then, Batman and Robin busted in through the wall.

"Jessie!" Robin yelled.

"Let her go, Joker. And we can go into battle later." Batman glared.

Joker laughed and put his hands on his hips, "I'd rather not. She's fun to hear. She called me a psycho clown!"

He then laughed like a psychotic madman.

"I can see why." Robin said, "Now let her go."

Joker evilly smirked at Batman and Robin. Without looking away, he pulled the lever.

"Oops." He smirked.

"ROBIN!" Jessie screamed dropping into the purple chemicals.

Joker laughed madly as Robin had froze in shock; not knowing what to do and how worried he was. Batman knocked Joker down and pulled the lever. The cage slowly came back up and Robin finally shock back into reality and opened the cage. He picked up his sister and laid her on the ground. She wasn't waking up.

Robin shook her, "Jess? Jessie wake up!"

She was absolutely motionless. Robin began to panic.

"Jessie!?! Wake up!" He yelled shaking her whole body.

Nothing happened. Robin sobbed loudly. Suddenly, purple lightning sparked around Jessie's body. She sat up and held her head in pain and screamed.

Robin gasped, "Jessie!"

He hugged her tightly, but quickly let go after feeling an electric shock.

"Ouch! You shocked me." He said.

"Sorry." Jessie replied.

Purple lightning was sparking in the palms of her hands. She looked at her hands.

"Whoa..."

She turned to Tobin and her eyes turned purple   They suddenly turned back to their beautiful bright blue color. Robin was confused, but was more focused on if Jessie was okay.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"I believe so." She said looking at the purple lightning in her hands.

He hugged her again and didn't wanna let go; for he thought he had almost lost her.