Chapter 18: Foretold

Just a few steps inside and Emtilov suddenly turned around and dispersed the soldiers. Not far, but away from him and his wife. Myshka felt caught, having feelings she hadn't expected. Relief, weakness and gratefulness. She almost toppled over in the quiet moment her legs giving out. Emtilov was quick to catch her and back her against a wall. He looked at her with unexplainable tenderness then did something very very strange.

He buried his face in the nook of her neck and breathed in deep. Breathed her in deeply. Her legs almost gave out again.

'Prince...' She stuttered.

'Shhh...' He whispered. He snuggled his face in, his hand on her face. Myshka didn't know what to do. She was frozen.

'Thank you' Came another whisper. It was desperate, almost a plea. But a plea for what? Her heart was breaking and she felt tears spring to her eyes. This man was broken and deprived. Aren't all villains?

A moment later he was gone from where he was and she felt his absence.

'Settle in your chambers and let me know if you need anything.' The Prince said, his voice hoarse. Then he was gone.

Myshka stood there panting, as if she had just run a great distance. Her tears were still there.

*******************************************************************

Rahara accompanied Myshka to her chambers. She still couldn't forget the haunted look on her face when she had found her in the corridor looking shaken. She wouldn't tell her what was wrong either. Nitya was was nowhere to be found and Belothra had refused to come. She was left alone with tending Myshka, as that had been the task assigned to the three of them. The Prince had given strict instructions that she was not to be left alone, even for a moment. More than her escaping, he was worried for her safety. A poisoned dish, a wayward arrow, a single swipe of the knife, anything could happen.

Rahara felt sorry for the girl. Myrrha had settled in just fine with Nitya, she doubted her sister would too. She ran a bath with beautiful flowers and essential oils. She picked out the most opulent clothes she could find. They were from the Royal closet for now, though a seamstress had been ordered to make new clothes exclusively for the Princess.
She made some adjustments to make the gown fit Myshka, while she took a bath. She needed some alone time, no matter what the Prince thought.

When she went to check on her, after almost an hour, she saw that Myshka had fallen asleep in the huge bath. Her face was tearstained and the water had ran cold. Rahara clicked her tongue and quickly tried to wake her up. Myshka barely opened her eyes. She was out cold. Now she got worried. She was naked, so she couldn't just call a guard to help her into a bed. She had no choice.

She called the Prince.

******************************************************
Emtilov rushed from his chambers to Myshka's. Rahara has urgently called him and as all the possibilities ran in his mind, he felt like he would faint. When he reached, he saw Rahara leaning sitting beside his sleeping wife,outside the bath. His very naked sleeping wife. He gulped at the sight.

"She's out cold. I haven't been able to wake her." Rahara said, guilt flashing across her face. "I couldn't call a guard in to carry her."

Emtilov almost lept up at the thought. He was relieved that it wasn't what he had thought. The girl was exhausted from the day's charades and had fallen asleep. Nothing more, he assured himself. Though the picture of her lying naked and unconscious didn't help ease his mind.

" It's okay Rahara. Leave us alone. I'll take her." He said without any threat in his voice. The poor girl looked scared as it is. Rahara didn't need to be told twice, she was gone in a jiffy.