Part 10

And 54 onwards.

////

"You're the most amazing, incredible, beautiful being I've ever met."

////

"You're the most amazing, incredible, beautiful being I've ever met."

Bucky snorted and smiled playfully. "Is now really the time for that?"

Steve managed a tight smile. "Just wanted to say it. Before I die."

"You aren't dying," Bucky dismissed as he kneeled beside him and studied his wound. "That should heal in a couple hours."

Steve looked at him. "Still, I meant my words, Buck."

Bucky glanced away and blushed, then sighed and sat next to him. "Shock is one hell of a drug, Stevie. You're rambling."

"No, no, I'm not," he argued, propping himself up on his elbows. "You really are, Buck."

He couldn't look at him without blushing. "Steve," he sighed, biting his lip. "You aren't the romantic type."

"Dying brings the best out in me," he drawled and Bucky looked at him pointedly. "Yeah or maybe I'm just losing a lot of blood."

Bucky shook his head, and, knowing he had to keep him awake for as long as he could, he continued asking about it. Steve stubbornly refused to say anymore until finally he said those words: "I love you."

Bucky smiled nervously and shook his head. "Bruce is coming by shortly, okay?" Could he say it back?

Steve leaned back and managed a nod. Bucky was kind of surprised at how well he was holding out for. After a moment of thinking about it, Bucky took his hand, squeezed it and replied, "I love you too."

The smile on Steve's face told him everything would be okay.

////

"I'll find her and bring her home, I promise."

////

"Bucky, I need you." His voice was urgent. "She's gone."

Bucky stood up slowly. "Katrina?" He paced a little. He knew how much she meant to Steve. "What happened?"

"She was in a car chase and I was running after her. She got lost somewhere. What if they took her?"

Bucky hated the fear in his voice. He swallowed and nodded to himself, still hesitating.

"Please, Buck."

And that was all he needed. "I'll find her and I'll bring her home, I promise." He owed it to Steve. Katrina was a sweetheart, quiet and reserved, and Bucky... well, he tolerated her. He still didn't like how much time she took from him and Steve ever since she'd waltzed into his life.

But he loved Steve, so he would find her.

He set out and began searching, tried calling to her, but nothing. Steve joined him later, his face a worried mask.

"What if she's gone for good?"

Bucky put a hand on his shoulder and smiled reassuringly. "She's fine, Stevie. She has to be."

He didn't look convinced.

Hours later, when dusk was setting, Steve spotted her in an alley, beat up, lying on the ground. He ran over and picked her up, and looked her over.

"See? I told you," Bucky said proudly, walking over. "Still, I shoulda' brought the treats, that would have gotten a better reaction." He looked her over. "She okay?"