Chapter 3

All in all, Daisy wasn't excited to be at UAA. The ship touched down and she was introduced to Professor Yolely, who talked faster than she could think. She met the other Grand Eight students, who were quiet and awfully tall. Artemisia McCourt was swiped from the group as soon as she disembarked, and joined with a group of cold-looking men and women.

Professor Yolely led the three remaining passengers through doors off the concrete-walled tarmac. The tunnel was wide and long, built to accommodate lots of people. Professor Yolely kept turning to the three of them, remarking on anything that seemed to come to mind.

"Wonderful to have you all here," he kept repeating. "A larger Grand Eight total than in previous years."

Daisy frowned. She remembered Tutor Mortunduni saying the count was smaller than usual. They came to two metal double doors engraved with the UAA insignia and Daisy took a silent deep breath when he opened them.

"This is the commons," he said. "You'll find help desks and doors and hallways to anywhere you need to go branch off from here."

The room was massive, and the ceiling rose over ten stories. She could see the elevator slowly making its way up on her right, and to her left were tall double doors open to the outside. Through them, she could see planter boxes and glassy buildings. And blue sky, lots of it. It reminded her a lot of Neptune's sky, except for the swirling gases and overhead lights. Instead, she could see sunlight, and noted it was brighter than expected.

The commons was round and hallways branched off in every direction. She noted the elevator was labeled "Board Offices" and realized the school was vastly bigger than just this. Everything was shades of gray and white with black touching everything. Black was the only basic color not used by a Celestial and was used by the UA for nearly everything.

Professor Yolely turned to find Daisy and Prince Cirrus gaping at the commons and Prince Atlantic watching him for more information. He cleared his throat and continued. "Dormitories are through that hallway-" He pointed straight in front of them. "And the dining hall is located through those doors. I'll let you explore them later, but we have orientation with all classes in one hour. Right now, we need to acquaint you all with your own program."

He led them towards the open doors onto a large concrete garden. Planter boxes loaded with flowers and shrubs lined paths which led to other buildings. "Military, Agriculture, Environment, Power, etc," said Professor Yolely, gesturing to the buildings. Military had more buildings behind it, training centers and facilities. The building directly across from the UAA was massive and octagonal. "Universe Association Headquarters," he said. "The round carvings that go up the middle are Celestials- each one has a floor. The first floor houses the media, and second floor is Mercury, then Venus, Earth, the Moon, Mars, and so on. Yours is at the top, Princess Edelweiss. That little circle next to it is Triton."

Daisy stared at the little carving of her planet, which had a blue sheen in the sunshine. Which, speaking of, was so bright she was shielding her eyes no matter where she looked.

"We take Grand Eight students from the Outer Four outside almost immediately after touchdown," he said. "They have to become adjusted to sunlight."

"How long does it take?" asked Prince Cirrus.

"A few days," said Professor Yolely. "I'm sure Prince Atlantic should adjust faster than the rest of you, and Prince Animalia will already be accustomed to the light. Here, sit down. We have topics to discuss."

Daisy took a seat between Prince Cirrus and Prince Atlantic, on a bench facing Professor Yolely. "Let's get to know each other," he said. "I'm sure you all haven't met?"