Chapter 2

Half of the sky had been trapped behind clouds by the time Dean was allowed a lunch break. He stood behind the building, biting into his protein bar a few yards away from the dumpster. He tried not to think too much about the rotten smell crawling towards him. Spoiled milk and putrid meat made the cool air seem almost muggy.

After having choked down the rest of his bar, he brought his phone out of his pocket and pressed the number two on speed dial. As he put the speaker up to his ear, he scanned the parking lot that faced him.

It took four rings for the line to pick up. The man on the other side was unmistakably Bobby, answering with a, "What the hell did you get yourself into this time, boy?"

"What, a guy can't phone someone without needing something?" Dean scoffed.

"Oh, you better need something," Bobby told him. "And it better damn well be important."

Dean rolled his eyes. He walked forward a few paces and looked both ways, making sure that the lot really was as empty as it looked. After stepping back under the shade of the protruding roof, he sighed. "Alright, this'll probably sound a little crazy..." He lowered his voice. "Do you know anything about angels?"

Bobby didn't say anything for a moment. The only way he really knew that they were still connected had been the shuffling he could hear. "You gotta be kiddin' me," he finally said. "Angels? Those things with wings and halos and white robes?"

"Yeah, Bobby. Those things."

"As far as I know, they don't exist."

Dean closed his eyes. "Yeah, well," he said. "I met one of them this morning. Name's Castiel."

"How in God's name did you meet an angel?"

He brought the heel of his palm up to his eyes, rubbing at them until they hurt. "It's kind of a long story." He ran his hand down the rest of his face.

"Are you sure he's an angel?"

"No. Far as I'm concerned, angels are just fairy tales, but I can't think of anything else he could be." He stuffed his hand into his pocket, pausing. "He claims he can't get back into Heaven until he grants me some sort of wish."

"So, what, we're in a Disney movie now?" Bobby scoffed. "Why the hell would an angel want to grant somebody's wish?"

"Beats me. I just need a way to get rid of him." Dean gently hit the back of his head against the wall behind him, his eyes trailing to the gray clouds above. "Do you think you could look some things up for me? Maybe figure out if there's anything else he could be."

"I don't know how much I have written about angels, if anything. Before now I thought it was all folklore," said Bobby.

"C'mon, Bobby."

"I'll see if I can find anything," he grumbled. "Might take a while. I'll call you if something comes up."

"Thanks."

Dean hung up the phone, putting it into his pocket and letting both of his hands rest there. He watched the clouds pass by. Then, figuring that his boss wasn't going to be too happy with how long he was taking, Dean pushed himself off of the wall and went back inside.

⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Relief had flooded through Dean at the sight of his house. The feeling of finally being home after serving a multitude of ungrateful customers was enough to get him speeding down the road. He pulled into the driveway and shut off his Baby's engine.

Standing at the threshold, the sun was leveled at such an angle that it melted into his back, hugging him around his torso. He worked the door open, and just as his eyes landed on Castiel, the heat evaporated any remaining drop of relief.