Childhood Friends

Y/N/N: Your Nickname

John Imagine:

"I found you!"

You let out a cry of surprise, yet your shock contorted into a bright smile as you dissolved into fits of giggles. Your best friend, John, laughed along with you. You stood up from your crouching position behind the bush, your chosen hiding place, and playfully shoved his shoulder.

"It's my turn! Go hide!" you encouraged as you covered your eyes and began to count to ten.

"Remember, no peeking!" John reminded you with his five-year-old glory.

You smiled and continued to count as he tried to find a hiding spot. It was moments like these that you would treasure, savour, for the rest of your life. But being only five, you wouldn't know that until a month later.

***

"You're leaving?"

John gasped in horror once you told him the news. Your cheeks were streaked, glittering with tears that contained melancholy and despair. Your parents had just given you the horrible news; you would be leaving Liverpool to America, where your father had received a job opportunity, and opportunity to good to decline. Which meant that you would have to move away from your best friend.

"But I don't want you to go!" John suddenly said, his eyes glistening with heartbreak.

"Me neither, Johnny," you sobbed.

"But Y/N/N... we're supposed to go to the moon together! I don't want to go there alone..."

You threw your arms around his neck and embraced him tightly. He returned the embrace as you cried into his shoulder.

"I'll miss you, Johnny," you whimpered.

"I'll miss you too, Y/N/N..."

***

You bit your thumbnail nervously as you waited for the world famous band to appear on stage. Biting your thumbnail... that had been a habit of yours since you were little. You would only do this when you were nervous. And you were beyond nervous right now.

The Beatles. So famous and so talented. And so full of the childhood memories you kept treasured for years. You never forgot your time in Liverpool. Especially not with your best friend and rhythm guitarist of the band, John.

When you had heard about his band, you had to fly to Paris to see him. You had barely managed to snatch a spot in the front, and now you were waiting for what felt like an eternity.

You felt your ears ring alarmingly when the sound of screaming girls blared throughout the arena. The band had finally arrived on stage. And although it had been fifteen years since you last saw him, you recognized John right away.

You gazed at him in awe as he sung the first note to Twist and Shout. You barely made a sound, although it was difficult to listen to the music due to the fact that the girls were screaming.

John hit the last note of the song on his guitar and smiled widely at the crowd. You continued to stare, not knowing whether coming to see him was a good idea. You were starting to have doubts.

Finally, he caught your eye and glanced. His eyebrows furrowed for a moment, though his smile never left. You felt your breathing hitch and your heart quicken to a more rapid pace. What if he didn't recognize you? What if he had forgotten about you? Maybe you didn't mean as much to him as you used to?

You didn't know.

He looked away.

***

After shoving your way through the crowd of crying teenage girls, you managed to slip into the backstage area, where several fans were to take a peek at The Beatles.