17: Just Surprising

Start from the beginning

“Hi Theo, Hi Cora,” Nina said, her smile warm and inviting.

“Hi Nina,” I managed to choke out as I gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. Theo did the same.

She turned over to the tall blue eyed blonde haired hipster kind of looking guy next to her. “Guys, this is my boyfriend, Alex. Alex Sherwood.”

We introduced ourselves like we didn’t know each other.

“Um, I forgot something in the car,” I announced randomly to them. “Sorry, I really need it. Theo, can you come with me?” I asked, batting my eyelashes.

“Yeah, of course. We’ll be right back,” Theo said. I was happy we were on the same page.

We half ran half walked towards the valet service and asked if they could escort us to the car instead. One thing good about fancy places is that they always oblige to your requests. When we got to the car, we completely ignored the valet as Theo immediately flipped out his cellphone, speed dialing James.

“Hello? Where are you guys?” James voice rang out through the speakerphone.

“WE HAVE A HUMONGOUS PROBLEM,” I started off.

There was apparent and appropriate groaning on the other end of the line.

“Why am I not surprised?” James responded. “What is it?”

“Nina’s boyfriend is Alex Sherwood,” I said. “I repeat, Nina’ boyfriend is Alex Sherwood.”

“Is that name supposed to me mean something to me?”

Theo grabbed the phone back from me. “It’s fucking cupid, dumbass. The guy who married Cora and I.” In a different tone, one that sounded more than urgent, as if James really, really knew who Alex was, Theo emphasized his name to James. “Alex Sherwood. Remember?”

“Oh shit.”

“Yeah, oh shit,” I said, ignoring the feeling in my stomach that there was more to this Alex guy than just him being cupid.

“It’s okay, it’s okay. Did you guys pretend to not know each other?” James asked.

“Yeah, but it wasn’t easy since the three of us looked like we were meeting the queen of England for the first time,” Theo said. “I’m sure Nina noticed something. Hell, he might even be telling her how he knows us.”

James snorted. “Please. That’s the last thing he wants to do.”

“You’re right,” Theo replied.

“What do you guys mean?” I asked, thoroughly confused at this point.

“It’s okay. We’re still going through with the plan. We got this far, you guys are not bailing on me now,” James demanded, completely ignoring my question. “Now, walk your little butts back to them and come sit next to us, because Lana is in the process of eating not only her appetizers but mine.”

We hung up and gave the valet guy a small smile before going into the car to pretend to get something. As we approached Nina and Alex, they looked as if they were in a middle of a tiny argument. It didn’t surprise me since Nina did say their relationship was fake. They stopped when we came to a halt next to them.

“Forgot my lipstick,” I giggled, waving my tube of lipstick in the air. “Always gotta keep these puppies moist just in case, if yah know what I mean.” My wink was exaggerated and definitely awkward, but it got the message across. Theo let out a curt, nervous laugh.

“Are you guys ready for a magical dinner?” Theo asked.

We all nodded. He extended the crook of his elbow for me, which I graciously took before heading up to the lobby of the restaurant. The hostess smiled and asked us to follow her to our reserved table. For some reason, I was super sweaty about the whole situation. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to act when we saw Lana and James just casually sitting there waiting for us.