Chapter 6 - Hylian Champion

Summary: King Rhoam appoints the Champions, Link becomes Zelda's appointed knight, and a group picture captures a happy moment.

I had been ordered back to my squad at Hyrule Castle and was feeling somewhat better after my talk with Mipha. Also, being forced to abandon my training for a while was good for me, and I actually socialized a bit with my fellow guardsmen. While I was there, a small package arrived. Inside was a written invitation to a ceremony called the Champions Inauguration Ceremony and a blue tunic. I was instructed to wear the tunic to the ceremony.

When the day of the ceremony arrived, I went into the castle, and the other four soon to be Champions, Daruk, Mipha, Revali and Urbosa, were already present. I had met Daruk before but had not had much contact with anyone other than Mipha at that point. We stood around the perimeter of the room while Princess Zelda stood in the middle. The King arrived and stood before us. He gave a short speech thanking us, and then appointed us all as Champions. I noticed we had all received a similar blue garment to wear.

Afterward, we went outside for a chat, relieved that the formalities were over. I stood by Daruk. Revali and Mipha were examining Princess Zelda's Sheikah Slate, and Urbosa pointed out to Mipha that the device could take pictures. I saw Mipha glance over at me and then ask Princess Zelda for a favor. She wanted to take a group picture, and that's what Purah agreed to do. We were all very stiff posing. I remember Mipha acted shy as she slid closer to me to be in the frame. I think Daruk noticed Mipha's glance at me before the picture and her shy behavior when posing next to me. He surmised she and I were more than casual acquaintances. At the last minute he squeezed us, and everyone else, together. It was a funny picture, but a sweet moment of togetherness. I was able to catch Mipha for a few minutes afterward.

"Mipha, it's great to see you. Congratulations on being chosen as a Champion," I said. "And it was smart of you to ask for the picture. I'm sure it will be a memory to cherish someday."

"And congratulations to you, Link," said Mipha. "I'm very proud of you."

I was ordered back to my quarters then. The next morning a member of the Royal Guard came by and told me His Majesty wished to see me. I assumed this had something to do with my wielding the sword that seals the darkness that Princess Zelda must have told him about. The guard led me to a room, and I entered. Both King Rhoam and Princess Zelda were there. I immediately bowed my head and dropped to one knee, but the king told me to rise and come forward.

"My daughter has told me what has happened with the sacred sword, as well as of your swordsmanship skill," said King Rhoam. "I fear dangerous times are upon us. I am appointing you as my daughter's personal knight. She needs a worthy companion to travel throughout Hyrule, someone I can count on to protect her."

I didn't know what to think other than this is not the kind of assignment you turn down. I also noticed the king wasn't asking.

"I am honored, Your Majesty," I said.

I was surprised Princess Zelda was standing to the side of the room with her arms folded and looking somewhat annoyed. But her father's next words explained her mood.

"I should tell you that my daughter does not agree with me that she needs a knight to accompany her," said King Rhoam. "But it is my wish that you do so and protect her."

"I understand, Your Majesty," I said.

Now, this was a great situation, I thought. The king commands me to protect his princess daughter who doesn't want me to protect her, and I am stuck in the middle of two royalty. I wondered what I had gotten myself into, other than a stressful situation. The meeting was at an end, so I bowed and took my leave.

Later that day there was another official ceremony I and the Champions were expected to attend at the Sacred Grounds. It was to confirm me as the official wielder of the sacred sword and Zelda's appointed knight. Revali was complaining about it all the way there.

"Is all this pomp and ceremony really necessary?" said Revali. "Why are we making such a fuss over this knight and his sword? My archery skills are much more powerful than this. This is a complete waste of time."

No one was in the mood to argue with him. It would have been useless anyway. I honestly wasn't thrilled about all the fuss either, but Her Highness seemed to think it important. Eventually we made our way to the Sacred Grounds.

I knelt in the center while Princess Zelda made some formal, and rather lengthy, pronouncement about my role. I could hear Revali still grumbling about it in the background. Daruk also seemed to be concerned about something and I could hear Urbosa speaking up too, but I could not make out any of the words. The only one who kept quiet was Mipha. The ceremony did go on too long, but there was little I could do except kneel and wait for it to finish.

Finally, it was over, and after brief goodbyes we all went our separate ways. I for one was glad to get back to my quarters and rest. Tomorrow I was to begin my new assignment as the princess's appointed knight. I expected I would need a good deal of patience and humility to cope with that.