Chapter 5: Meet Again

"We all have those days and nights that we wish we can do over. Those days that we wish that we can take back but can't. Those nights we wish we could just forget. Those nights we wish that could just last. That one night at Animusika was both the beginning and the end of what could be and what could have been." she read aloud from a page of her notebook.

It's been a few years since she last saw him on those school grounds. After that night, he kept a distance from the group. The last news she heard about them was that they were engaged. She was happy for him; for them. What made it even better was that she was happy for herself.

"Hey Yanna! Are you ready? We need to go." Kib yelled from downstairs. "Almost done! Hang on!" she yelled back. She closed her notebook and put it back on her shelf. She grabbed her purse and her phone then made her way downstairs.

"What took you so long, babe? You know we both have meetings today." he said as he grabbed the keys to the car and made his way out the door. "Sorry, hun. I just stumbled on one of my old journals while looking for some blank new ones." she replied then followed him out the door.

"Oh really? Which one?" he asked when they were now both inside the car. "The one from college." she replied then looked at him and smiled. He looked at her and smiled back then started the engine.

That journal is special for the both of them. Though it started with quotes and lyrics from movies, songs and series, then eventually moved to Rasheed, it ended with the guy who was sitting beside her and holding her hand.

"Ready?" he asked her again as he set up his phone on the dashboard then put on his seatbelt. "Ready." she answered as she put on her seatbelt too.

The drive to Fort was a typical one. They had their favorite playlist on and they sang along to their favorite songs. "So where's your meeting going to be?" she asked him. "Mary Grace in Serendra. Yours?" he answered as they drove up the ramp from C-5 going to BGC. "Starbucks. The one near Globe." she replied as reached for the bag she leaves on the backseat of the car. "Lapit lang pala kay Kuya Miguel." he commented and chuckled. "Yeah. If you want, park nalang tayo sa may Serendra tapos maglalakad nalang ako." I suggested. "Wag na. Hahatid na kita. Hindi naman malayo yung iikutan ko eh." he said. She didn't push it anymore because she knew that she wouldn't win. "Okay, babe. Whatever you say." she replied as she shook her head and chuckled afterwards.

Kib stopped the car at the back of Starbucks and pressed the hazard button. "So I'll see you later?" she asked as she unbuckled her seatbelt so that she could spray on some perfume. "Yeah. Just text me. Dadaanan nalang kita dito." he replied while he was typing on his phone. "Sure ka? I mean if I finish early, I can just go to you." she said as she looked at him. "Dadaanan nalang kita. Baka mainitan ka kapag naglakad ka pa." he replied as he looked at her and smiled.

"Okay po, boss baby." she said as she laughed. Yanna turned to open when Kib suddenly grabbed her hand. She looked at him confusingly and asked "Yes, Mr. Montalbo?". He stayed silent for awhile and just looked at her. "Nothing. I just wanted to say I love you." he said then just smiled at her again. She couldn't help but blush and giggle a bit. "I love you too." she replied. "But I need to go or else we'll be both late." she added. "Okay okay. Goodluck on your meeting Yans." he said and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks, baby. Goodluck on yours too." she replied and kissed him on the cheek as well before going down from car.

It's 11:15 in the morning and her meeting was at 11:30. She puts down her bag with the journals on the table by the window.

She grabs her wallet and phone then heads to the counter to line-up and order. The line is a bit long since it's almost lunch.

"Hi! Next in line please." said the barista, so Yanna walks to the vacant cashier. "Hi. One venti iced caramel macchiato, upside down, light ice. Sip lid please." I told the barista. "Name for the cup po?" she asked. "Yanna." I replied and prepared my 200 pesos. "Miss Yanna? You're have one venti stirred iced caramel macchiato." she said and I just nodded. "That will be 185 pesos po." she added; then I gave her the cash. She gave me my receipt then I went back to my seat while I waited for my name to be called.

While waiting, she receives a text from her client saying that he'll be running late and if they can postpone the meeting to another day. Since she knew that Kib was booked with around two or three meetings that day, she replied that it was okay.

She put her phone in her bag then took out the sheets she watercolored the night before, her black unipins, her black marker, and the list of names she needed to write.

"One venti stirred iced caramel macchiato for Yanna." the barista called out. She fixed her things on the table and stood up to go to the counter. She got her drink and her way back to the table.

On her way back, she accidentally bumped into someone. "Sorry." they both said at the same time. She looked at the person she bumped and was surprised to see who it was; the person was surprised to see her as well.

"Hey." the person said and smiled. "Hi." she said and smiled back. "Kamusta?" they said again at the same time which caused both of them to laugh. "Okay naman. Ikaw?" the person asked. "Okay rin. Ano pala ginagawa mo dito?" she answered. "May ka-meeting dapat ako, kaso nagcancel. You?" the person replied. "Same. Kaya inaantay ko nalang si Kib. Teka. May kasama ka ba?" she asked him. "Wala naman. Is it alright if I join you?" the person asked. "Yeah, sure." she answered. "Sige. Order lang ako tapos puntahan kita." the person replied. She just nodded and made her way back her seat.

"Seryoso ka ba? Dito pa talaga sa pwesto natin?" the person asked, causing both of them to laugh again. "Brings back memories ba, Rash? Malay ko ba na makikita kita dito." she answered. He sat down across her and just looked at her. "What?" she asked him. "Wala. You haven't changed. Ang ganda mo pa rin." he answered her as he took out his phone. "Ikaw rin naman ah. You haven't changed either." she replied as she fixed her things.

"How are you and Elise? I heard you guys got engaged." she asked him as she took a sip from her drink. "We're doing good. Yeah, we are. The wedding's next year." he replied as he took a sip from his drink too. "Kayo ni Kib, kamusta? Sina Kayla and Harper?" he added. "Okay naman kami. Ayon, busy sa meetings. We actually just moved in together. Sina Harper, ayon okay naman sila." she replied.

They exchanged stories of what's been going on with their lives the past few years. In the middle of their conversation, Yanna noticed something on Rasheed's wrist. "Nice bracelet." she commented while she looked at the bracelet. He looked down to what she was looking at. "Yeah. Well, ikaw nagbigay. Of course it's a nice bracelet." he said and smiled. "Why do you still have it? Let alone wear it? Hindi ba nagagalit si Elise?" she asked him with a questioning look on her face. "It's all I have left of us. Don't worry, she understands. You were a big part of my life, and she knows that." he answered.

"Speaking of Elise. Can I ask you something?" she replied. "Sure. What's up?" he answered. "I mean I know I should've asked this years ago, but I never got the chance to. Why did she come back?" she asked him as she gazed out the window. "She came back because her family moved back here. Her dad took over their family business. Then she saw it as an opportunity to try and pick up where we left off. That time, you weren't comfortable with her. You didn't need to tell me that you didn't want me to be around her. I knew. It's just that, it would've been unfair if I didn't let her explain completely. That day at Coffee Bean, we really were catching up. Then after our conversation, she also let me think things through; and I did. That's when I realized that I guess my love for her never left. I never saw you as her, Yans. You and her were two different people that I loved dearly. It's just that, my love for her was greater. Alam mo yon? Baka pinagtagpo lang tayong dalawa pero hindi itinadhana?" he explained.

Yanna chuckled after he spoke. "I get it, Rash. Baka nga hindi tayo itinadhana. But was good to be yours while it lasted." she said as she looked at him and smiled. "Same here, Yans." he replied and smiled back at her.

They continued to exchange stories, and after consulting with Elise, Rasheed ended up getting Yanna to do their wedding invites. At around 3:30pm, Rasheed got a phone call, at the same time Yanna received a text that Kib's on the way to pick her up.

"Yans, I need to go. May kailangan pa kong puntahan eh." he said as he stood up. "Sure, no problem. Papunta na rin si Kib para sunduin ako." she replied and stood up to give him a hug. "Hey Rash." she said as was about turn around and leave. "Yeah?" he asked and looked at her again. "It's good to see you again." she answered and smiled at him. "It's good to see you too, Yanna. Don't be a stranger, alright?" he said as he smiled at her too. She nodded and he waved goodbye before leaving the coffee shop.

Maybe there are some nights that we wish that never happened, but maybe there are some nights are meant to happen.

That one night was not what they wanted, but needed.