Chapter XXIX: The Magician Again

Comenzar desde el principio

"Don't stumble on the way out," Solvej said with a cheery wave.

The Magician's face went from red to purple. His eyes practically stood out on stalks. He ground his teeth so loudly that Hjalmar could hear them from the other side of the window. "You-- You--"

He yanked on the reins of his steed. The terrifying creature tossed its head and pawed at the empty air beneath its hooves. If that thing charged through the window, how could they possibly deal with both it and the Magician?

"You have ruined my plans for the last time, witch!" the Magician roared.

"I'm sure you hope so," Solvej said in the condescending tone one would use for a small and rather foolish child.

The Magician didn't seem to hear her. He was frowning fiercely at a spot over her head. Hjalmar followed his gaze curiously, but saw nothing more interesting than the ceiling of the sitting room.

"Witch, I challenge you to a duel," the Magician announced. "We will see then who is the stronger sorcerer."

Solvej's eyes narrowed. She stared at the Magician as if trying to guess what possible motive was behind this extraordinary request.

"Don't accept!" Rigmor cried. "It's some trick!"

"I know it is," Solvej said thoughtfully. "I'm trying to work out what sort of trick, and what he hopes to gain from it."

"Your death," the Magician said bluntly. "If you accept, I will defeat you and kill you. If you refuse, I will kill you."

"You're welcome to try," Solvej replied sarcastically. "But you'll have a hard time trying to kill a ghost."

There was a long silence. Hjalmar's heart pounded in his ears, so loudly that surely everyone could hear it.

"Come back tomorrow," Solvej said at last. "I'll decide whether or not to accept your challenge, and let you know tomorrow."

The Magician growled, but he seemed to realise this was the best answer he would get at present. With an angry exclamation, he turned his horse around and galloped off across the sky. Five pairs of eyes watched him go. The minute he was out of sight, four voices all began talking at once.

"Solvej, you can't--"

"I know the Magician. He'll cheat or--"

"Young lady, you cannot possibly be thinking of accepting this--"

"If he's coming back tomorrow, I'll tell the guards to be waiting with muskets and--"

"Enough!" Solvej shouted. Everyone else fell silent. "Thank you for voicing your opinions. Though I wish," she added with a wince, "that you didn't voice them as loudly. I know the Magician intends to cheat if I accept his challenge."

"So you're going to refuse?" Hjalmar said hopefully.

The ghost shook her head. "I'm going to accept, and cheat first."

"But that's not fair!" Hjalmar protested. He was promptly put on the receiving end of four exasperated looks.

"This is the Magician we're talking about," Rigmor said. "There's no such thing as "unfair" in dealing with him."

Hjalmar had to admit she had a point. But still, the idea of bluntly saying you were going to cheat didn't sit well with him.

"What do you intend to do?" the Queen asked. "Attack him when he comes tomorrow?"

Solvej frowned thoughtully. "...No. He'd be expecting that. What I need is something that will catch him off-guard, something so unexpected that he won't be able to defend against it, something like--"