Chapter 16: What I Shouldn't Have Said (Troy)

Start from the beginning

"Wow! I can see why."

"I used to come here to feel closer to her." I said as I looked out to sea.

"Why did you stop."

I shrugged. "I don't know. I guess sometimes I wish she was here. She always gave me advice."

"You know you're problems aren't that complicated, Troy."

I looked slowly at her. She was a kid, what did she now about what complicated was? "Really?" I said, "So you have my problems all figured out?"

She giggled. Suddenly it wasn't that cute anymore. She leaned up against the rail on the glass. "Troy, you're problem is you."

I narrowed my eyes. "Me?" Give this girl the Nobel peace prize, I thought.

"Yeah. My dad used to always say, people only do what you allow them to."

I my jaw shook.

"You allow yourself to be a doormat, and people take advantage of you." She said, "I mean, you threaten to call a lawyer, but do you follow through."

"Wow! You should be a psychiatrist. "

"Hey, I'm just trying to help."

"Well, I don't need help," I snapped. "You want some advice, give your parents a damn break. Not every thing is about you all the time!"

Her eyes widened and I realized what I had done. "Scar I..." Before I knew it the bag in her hand came crashing down with her shake and she stormed down the stairs. I cradled my head. "Scar." I called following her down the winding stairs again, locking the door to the light house. I'd clean up that mess later. So much for Nick's great theory.

I turned to find her going in the house. I rushed after her, my feet squishing against the sand. I slid on my flip-flops and went back into the house. By the time I got in she was already headed out the door with her purse. I blew out a breath. She was expecting me to give her a ride home so I headed out the door, and locked it as I noticed her walk passed my cars in the drive way.

"Scar." I called out. "This is really mature." I said following her. It was impossible for her to try and walk home from my house. It was at least a twenty minute drive to the restaurant, and she was up the street. She was just trying to prove a point. I went back and got in my truck, cranked the engine and rode beside her. "Scar this is silly."

She just marked with the same determined grimace on her face.

"Look, Scar, I'm sorry. Just get in the car and we'll talk about it.

She kept walking. Finally I decided to pull over, I was going to grab her and pull her in the car but I decided to march beside her, at least show he how ridiculous she looked. "I can keep this up all day. I guess I need to get in shape."

I didn't know how long we walked, but I was kicking myself for the flip-flops, getting out of my car, my mouth was dry, and Now the sun was out beaming down on us as we walked. "Are you kidding me right now." I noticed a stump that I decided to rest on. I needed to get in shape and I didn't need to be chasing women. Young immature women at that. What ever I felt I was over.

"Can't keep up?" She stood over me. Truthfully, I was just thankful she was blocking the sun.

"Taking a break." I said out of breath, "Do you mind?"

"Aw! She pouted, "Old man can't keep up?"

"Aw!" I mocked, "Wittle princess throwing her wittle tantrum."

She scoffed and walked away. We were at least a mile and a half from the restaurant. I could make it.

I stood up and continued to walk after her. Why? Now I didn't even know. My view slid down to her swishing hips. She was still sexy, but so was my wife.