New Beginnings (epilogue pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

"What are you talking about? Am I even still technically alive? Am I a walking corpse?!" You asked.

The Aynes shook his head. "I understand you are frightened, but do not fret. You are lucky I am now the new Master of my people and have the choice to liberate you of your curse."

You swallowed back a throb. "L-liberate me? What do you mean?"

The Aynes glanced down at the floor, a sad look cast over their face. "I don't know how else to tell you this, but it must come out."

You leaned back in your seat. "Say it."

"Right now, you just have the stone pumping life into your veins, that's the only thing keeping you alive. But it's fading. Starting now, you only have two years of life."

You breath hitched in your throat. This creature couldn't be serious, could he? "But...how can you tell? I don't feel sick?"

"That's because your immune system is still the strongest part of you. When the power slowly fades, so does its ability to heal. Your immune system will eventually capture new bacteria and can kill you instantly. But because the heart is the source of healing power, not the immune sistem, you will die of what you call a 'heart attack'. Suddenly and unpredictably."

Your hand flew to your mouth. You glanced at the bedroom door where Jim was asleep in. Two years of life, you have left. What will you tell him? How will you tell him? In just two years you both graduate from the Academy. Will you die before or after then?

The Aynes sensed your distress and lay a cold hand over yours. You looked at him, and he had a hopeful smile on his face.

"There is a solution. Listen close," he said gently. "You are sixteen, yes?"

It took you a while to think of your age. If you still have the stone in you from when you were sixteen, that means you are still that age. That also means that the three years you've known Jim, he technically surpassed you by two years.

When you nodded, the Aynes continued. "You won't age even if the power fades and your lover obviously won't notice. And you can't be healed if you get injured. I'm sure you noticed from three years ago? When revisited a living nightmare of yours."

He meant Treasure Planet. You remember getting injured by the rags around your mouth and the lumps never healed until days later.

"Yeah," you replied, eyebrows pinching and hands hovering over your lips. "I do."

"Then know this: the stone is still strong enough to make a new functioning human heart. I can make that happen."

You blinked. Why did you have a hard time believing that? Because it sounded to good to be true?

The Ayne was reading the uncertainty in your expression. It gently squeezed your hand before removing it. "I assure you, it comes with no cost. Your price has been paid. What needs to happen is I perform the ritual, which will take a few minutes, and soon you'll have a heart. You will, age, endure pain, and eventually, die of normal causes. You will be mortal once again."

You closed your eyes and pinched them. "I'm sorry. This is all just so hard to believe. I already feel human--I am human, but I'm also not. I can't-I can't imagine Jim knowing I'll die before him. Knowing I can't marry him."

You heard the rustling of robes as the Ayne rose from his seat. You removed your hand and saw him.

"This opportunity is once in a lifetime," it said, "I will not return. I am risking the respect of my students and Elders by coming here. Once I leave, you can never find me."