16

Athena had never been good at goodbyes and that's what she thought was going to be the hardest. She wishes she had told Tom how she felt earlier because if she said it now, it's like dropping a bomb and leaving it to sit for two months still exploding; she wasn't going to do that to him. Tom wishes he told her how he felt, but every time he tried to, he got too nervous and backed out.

Tom and Athena stood outside of the gate to Vancouver, Canada. Both of them didn't want to see the other go, but that was part of their job. Even after a month and two weeks the two were inseparable and all their friends knew it from the moment he picked her up the day after the premiere.

"I'm still surprised Daya and Lola let you drive me here. They take me everywhere before I have to go somewhere for like more than a week." Athena laughed as she attempted to lighten the mood. Her eyes shifted from the floor to Tom's eyes who were already glued to her eyes.

"I'm pretty convincing." Tom laughed nervously as he flashed her a smile and fiddled with the hem of his shirt.

"Flight 137A to Vancouver is now boarding. Ten minutes until take-off." The announcer said over the intercoms which made the two look over at the object and then back at each other.

"I guess this is it. After a month and two weeks I am leaving my best friend. Please make sure Lola takes her anxiety pills because Daya always forgets to remind her. Take care of them for me. And yourself, Tom." Athena smiled as she fought back the tears that welled in her eyes. She felt guilty for not telling him sooner.

"I'll miss you more than you could ever imagine, little one. I'll see you in two months on your birthday." Tom said as he pulled Athena close to him for a hug.

Athena's head rested on his chest and she listened to his heart beat rise as she hugged him tighter. Her arms were wrapped tightly around his waist and his were wrapped over her shoulders and held her right. Tom rested his chin on the top of her head before she slowly pulled her head away and looked up at him.

"Two more months, Tomathon. Just two." Athena said.

In that moment, time seemed to pause. It was just the two in an empty room—a quiet room. The two just stared at each other, Tom's eyes shifted from her lips and back to her eyes. Tom slowly leaned in, Athena following. Both of their hearts raced as they have never felt this way.

"Last call for flight 137A to Vancouver. Take off in five minutes." The intercom announced.

The two slowly pulled away from each other and laughed nervously.

"Two more months. I'll call you every chance I get. I'll see you soon." Tom said as he grabbed onto her hand.

"I'll see you soon." Athena said as she walked away slowly, their hands still holding on until the very last second.

As Athena walked down the gateway, she realized that her feelings for Tom were way more than she had ever anticipated. One last smile slipped on her face as she entered the plane and found her way to her seat. She looked at the small television that was on the seat and scanned through them until she saw the title for Spider-Man: Homecoming. She let out a small laugh before she plugged her headphones in and pressed play on the movie.