His fault (Mike Wheeler x reader)

It was honestly all his fault. He drove her away; he made her not want to be in this relationship anymore; he made her fall in love with his best friend.

Let's wind it back a little bit. Ever since the first grade (y/n) had been Mike and Will's friend, who were later joined by Lucas and Dustin. At first when they were little they all had had crushes on her, I mean (y/n) was their only friend who was also a girl. But over time they began to see her more as a friend. Will and Mike, however, didn't shake off their feelings for her. To them she was amazing and they wanted her for themselves.

When they were all in the sixth grade, Mike had somehow managed to snag her. You see, (y/n) had been crushing on Mike for half a year at that point and when Mike felt courageous enough, he asked her out after revealing his feelings for her. Will had been heartbroken over this turn of events and for the first few months it was hard to see them together. But Will pulled through and pretended like it didn't bother him that Mike was the one feeling her romantic affection.

He also couldn't complain entirely because she was still his friend and she did show him affection, even if it was just platonic. Anyone of the party could easily claim that (y/n) gave the best hugs. Just the way she would wrap her arms around you was enough to make you feel loved and wanted.

Curently they were in Mike's basement, all playing D&D, well except for (y/n). She definetely loved playing the game and they all knew that, but some days she just didn't have the mood to play, today being one of them. She still loved watching the game.

When they were smaller, (y/n) had loved pink dresses and all that princessey stuff, earning her the nickname 'princess' which she had quickly outgrown, but it still stuck around. So by fault her D&D character was a princess gone rogue.

She sat on the couch in the basement, sketching out her friends playing the game. For the ten hours that they've been playing, she's been switching between diferent activities such as videogames on the 'Atari' that she brought and reading her book. (Y/n) would always give a bit of her own commentary and Will would always ask her opinion on what he should do. She'd tell him and he'd always listen even if it wasn't a good move. He was definetely way too in to her.

(Y/n) was very well aware of Eleven's crush on her boyfriend, but she had still tried to like her. When Will went missing it had hit the Party pretty hard and then they had found Eleven. At first everyone was a bit hesitant to trust her, but Mike was quick to show his positive feelings towards her. (Y/n) guessed that that was the reason for Eleven's affections towards Mike, after all, he was the first kid her age to show her kindness.

During the whole time this was going on, Mike had been ditching (y/n) a lot. He would always be too busy searching for Will or spending time caring for Eleven or El, as he liked to call her. Now, (y/n) wasn't asking him to stop looking for Will or to just stop caring for El all together, but she just wished he would acknowledge her-his actual girlfriend. She talked to Dustin about this. He was her second best friend after Will and usually she'd talk to him about her problems, but Will was gone. (Y/n) and Dustin both had agreed that it would probably be best if she just focused on finding Will. And she did focus on that, but still she could see Mike and El getting closer.

He would call her pretty and then try to hide it. Mike would look at her with the same look that he usually had reserved for (y/n) and that just really stung. And then she overheard him ask her to the Snowball. (Y/n)'s heart broke and as if he still wasn't done, Mike went and kissed Eleven. That day (y/n) had ran to Dustin and cried to him. She told him everything, but still made sure that Mike wouldn't find out that she knew. Dustin and Lucas were angry to hear what Mike had done. How could he do that to their (y/n), who was the sweetest girl they'd ever met? He had her as his girlfriend and that still wasn't enough for him?

They were begining to think that maybe Mike didn't deserve her anymore. The whole Party, including Will, used to think that those two were the most adorable couple. Even Will who still had a crush on her, couldn't deny how absolutely cute they were together. But now Mike was tearing that all apart, wether he knew he was doing it or not.

And now that El was gone and Will had been found, was (y/n) wrong in assuming that things would all fall back to the way they were before? She didn't think so and the others also waited for the two to go back to being all lovey-dovey, Will would have to watch their relationship play out and Dustin and Lucas would watch their otp be real. Now it seemed that they didn't quite like her with him. He was no good for her, he was breaking her heart.

But (y/n) was a strong girl and if Mike was gonna spend his whole time searching for Eleven, instead of winning the affections of his girlfriend back, well then, she doesn't need him.

Nowadays (y/n) was busying herself with being there for Will. Dustin an Lucas had by now noticed all the obvious signs that Will definetely had a thing for their female friend and that (y/n)'s affections were growing as well for the younger Byers boy. At this point they were thinking that maybe Will would be better for her rather than Mike.

(Y/n) couldn't quite stand it anymore, the heartbreak he was causing her. She really thought it would get better, but it hasn't and she's done letting him stomp all over her.

"Hey, Mike, can we go talk for a minute?"

He glanced at the guys, confused at her request. What could she possibly want to talk about, everything was great, wasn't it?

"Uhh...yeah, sure..." Mike followed her upstairs.

The rest of the Party exchanged looks, they were sure this wasn't good.

Mike and (y/n) sat down on Mike's bed and she sighed. She really was doing this, oh wow.

"I'll cut right to the chase and leave out all the bullshit, Mike, I think we need to break up..."

His eyes widened, "what, why do you say that?!"

(Y/n) sighed, taking his hands in her's and began to explain.

"Well, ever since Will went missing and Eleven showed up, you've been completely neglecting me, all you've been doing lately is searching for El."

He got quickly offended, "don't you want to find El? (Y/n), she's our friend!"

(Y/n) let go of his hands as if they had burned her and scoffed.

"No, Mike, she's not my friend, I haven't spoken a single word to her and apparently you were too busy trying to flirt with Eleven to notice anything."

"What...no!"

"How stupid do you think I am, Michael?! I saw you two kissing after you asked some random girl who you met a few days ago to the snowball instead of your actual girlfriend! You threw away years of a good relationship over someone you just met!"

Mike was speechless, he hadn't expected her to see that.

"You didn't think I knew, did you? Mike, this relationship isn't working. You clearly have a thing for El because ever since she showed up, the word girlfriend was only a title, that, upon retrospect, seems unfitting to me, don't you think?"

He couldn't even look her in the eye. She was right, she was so very right.

"So I'm doing you a favor, I'm setting you free...if she comes back I won't be standing between you two...I hope this makes you happy, now there's no-one weighing you down."

His eyes snapped up to her face and seeing the tears already streaming down her soft cheeks made his heart break. (Y/n) got up, wiped under her eyes and left his room. She went downstairs to the others to grab her things and go home. Mike was left to process what exactly just happened. His girlfriend of so many years had just left him. His best friend had just left him and it was all his own fault.

It was all Mike's own fault, he let her go.