Familiars and Wands

Start from the beginning

"Then you shall be trained in the ways of the goblin. If you truly mean what you say, perhaps your destiny is more clear than I had anticipated. I shall send my finest warrior to your house on Saturday, 9:00 am. You will train for a week, but with the time rune trunk, it shall be 7 months." Griphook nodded, and pushed himself away from the desk and walked to an ivory shelf at the edge of the room. He picked up two books, and swiped a pointed thumb on the bind. It fell open in his hands.

"I'd like for you to read these, Harry. These books contain the recordings of goblin history and culture. You will find use for these."

He hesitantly held out a hand. "Sir, are you sure? These are-whoa." Griphook chuckled.

"As a friend of the goblins, Harry, not only do I want you to read them, but to keep them. Goblins are prized on security, so like the trunk, these are activated by blood. Swipe your blood on the spine, and the book will recognize you as a friend."

Griphook stood up, and the chair made a slight screeching sound as it was pushed in. "And now, I believe I have taken enough of your time. I suggest you rest a while, perhaps spend your fortune on a token or two. If I may suggest, the lurid purple shop in Knockturn Alley is an excellent place to start. Have a good day, Harry. I expect I'll be seeing you later."

He left the room, and reached to meet Ragnok for the day's events. As he sat down next to the wise goblin, Ragnok stood and nodded to the picture of the girl whos hair shifted color. It was frozen in a scarlet.

"It's time."

xXxXxXx

Harry nodded blankly at the comment after Ragnok. Everything had come in such a short, small space of time. Walking out of the bank and breathing in the air, the cold felt like fire. Harry turned around slowly. No one seemed to notice him. Not any of the shoppers who walked in brisk steps, nor the few kids near the fountain who were happily splashing each other, shrieking when the water wet their clothes.

The crowd thinned out from a hungry bustle to a meager scatter as his steps turned into heavy thuds approaching Knockturn Alley. He had never really looked into the alley before-Mrs Weasley's hand had been sharp in regards to these stores. Now, alone with a heavy weighing bag strapped to the left of his pants, he scanned the alley trying to make sense of it all. There was a shabby wood sign as the only indication he was where he was meant to be- scrawled in shaky writing was 'Knockturn Alley'. Many of the passersby had drawn up hoods to cover their faces, and girls and boys alike shakily walked to and from shops in light footsteps.

The path was barren, but Harry could see a purple shop that appeared as a small house of cards from the entrance of the alley. No one seemed to take notice of it.

As he walked in, he noticed that the shop had a heavy darkness to him, like powder. It smelled like lilacs and forging metal, something Harry never thought would work as a scent. He walked cautiously, unsure of the situation.

There was a counter in the front, similar to the one in Ollivanders. Unlike Ollivanders, there were no wands-only rows of compartments that hid their secrets behind closed shelves.

He peered intently at the brass shine that ran around the perimeter of the counter. His reflection wouldn't show despite it being perfectly clean.

"Hello Harry Potter."

He snapped his neck up to meet the dangerously soft voice. His eyes widened. In front of him was a man peering at him with the brightest golden eyes and a beard that fell so low the end was hidden behind the counter. His sable face was lined with wrinkles.

"Uh.."

The man behind the counter chuckled softly, dangerously. His thumb stroked the brass Harry had been examining, but his gaze stayed on Harry.