9 | Partners In Crime

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, no kidding," Rosalie all but whispered. "I—Um... I'm confused."

She then processed the fact that she hadn't even taken into consideration what she was wearing. She looked down, and was already too out-of-it to fully process the fact that she was in her underwear from the previous night, and nothing else. The fact that Ray hadn't said anything was the most confusing part of all.

"Why am I not wearing anything?" Rosalie said, more tired than anything. She rolled her eyes and headed back to her room with a groan.

As Rosalie stormed off to get a shirt and shorts, Ray gave Joanna a what-the-hell look. Joanna shrugged. "What, sleeping in clothes is so uncomfortable," Joanna said, as if it was a universal trait. Ray rolled her eyes and headed for the steps. "Come on, you know how hard it is changing someone? I got lazy!"

Rosalie stepped out as she was shoving her arms through the holes of her cutoff t-shirt from sophomore year club soccer. Joanna was still there, hands on her hips, grinning demonically as per usual. Rosalie hesitated at the open threshold, debating whether or not she should abandon ship and just stick to her room. The curiosity and anxiety surrounding the state of the first floor was too powerful, though.

"I made coffee if you're interested. That gay swim kid is making eggs for the hangovers."

"Gay swim kid?" Rosalie repeated.

"Isaiah."

"Isaiah isn't gay," Rosalie said, and Joanna raised an eyebrow at her. "What? I'm serious."

"Yeah, and so am I. You do realize I have the single best gaydar known to mankind, right?" Joanna said. "And that whole bullshit bet the grade has on you and Griffin? Bullshit. You're both queer."

"It's too early for this," Rosalie moaned, hand over her face.

Joanna led the way down the steps and stopped short where Juliana was walking by with Brynn on her heels, the two of them sporting black trash bags filled to the brim with crap. Rosalie stopped to stare after them, hand tight on the stair railing. Brynn looked back at her and stopped to wave.

"How are you feeling?" Brynn asked. "I've never seen you so smashed before. That was fun!"

"Brynn, come on," Juliana whined.

"What! I'm just being honest. Rosalie's fun when she's drunk!" Brynn said, slumping after Juliana.

Juliana gave Rosalie a small wave and said, "We left the trash the way it was before. Sami's idea."

"Oh. That's... honestly super smart of him," she said, surprised. Juliana hurried off after Brynn, down the porch steps, and to the end of the driveway. Rosalie turned to Joanna then, "That's definitely something my mom would notice."

"Yeesh. Your mom sounds like she's fun at parties," Joanna said, heavy on the sarcasm.

"She's a lawyer. She notices weird things. It's impossible trying to lie to her," Rosalie confessed, and added with a sense of false pride, "Hence why I'm so great at lying."

"And also arguing," Sami's voice sounded, and soon, he was passing them on his way to the pantry. He winked at Rosalie. "Except for when you're flustered. Then you just turn into a hot mess."

Joanna laughed, tipping her head to the side to observe the way Rosalie flushed and stammered, "D-Do not! Sami!"

Jamie-Lee was at the counter perched on one of the stools, looking a little worse for wear, but still functional. He eyed Rosalie and they shared a look of understanding. She was simply content that Jamie hadn't destroyed the house. Rosalie took a seat beside him, and they both suffered together until Joanna poured coffee into mugs for the both of them.