WV Virus: Aster

• Dedicated to the extremely annoying werewolf cliches

Werewolves are not human.  They kill on sight.  They eat meat raw.  They enjoy hurting people.  They travel together.  They will try to convince you that they are kind.  They can only be killed by a silver bullet, to the heart.  They live in the woods.  They have strange eyes.  They kill someone everyday.  They are not human.

Werewolves are the enemy.

I was only six when werewolves, vampires, and witches revealed themselves to the world.  They threw the world into turmoil and war.  Within the U.S., various states battle against each other, the new president too weak and incapable of helping our country.  My father, mother, and I were living in Wisconsin, but Wisconsin was quickly overtaken by werewolves.  So my father became one of the first werewolf hunters.

I remember I was seven when my father killed his first werewolf.  He was excited and passionate about his accomplishment.  He wouldn’t let me see the body, but encouraged Mom to view the carcass.  Before viewing the cadaver, Mom had been slightly against werewolves, but seeing the dead body suddenly created a huge rift between Mom and Dad.

“I won’t let you go around, murdering people like that!” Mom had screamed at him in the garage, where the body was strapped to the back of Dad’s truck.

“They are not PEOPLE, Iris!  They are cold-blooded killers who don’t deserve to grace the earth!”

“NO!  This cannot be the answer!  This person… could have been a son!  A father, for Christ’s sake!”

“Bullshit, Iris!”

“Do you want Aster growing up, knowing you’re a killer?”

“Aster knows I am a HERO!”  Mom and Dad’s marriage has steadily crumbled ever since.  Mom is a writer and editor for an equal rights magazine, and Dad has steadily grown to be one of the most talented werewolf hunters in the U.S.

Wisconsin was too outdoorsy and vulnerable to remain a war zone for long.  Werewolves completely got it in 2017.  Dad moved Mom and I to Little Brook, Illinois, where all the action was.  Yeah, there’s definitely a lot of crap going on in Illinois.  

Dad should’ve seen Mom’s and my kidnapping coming.