9

Shinra's company helicopter landed a distance away from the site, and Sera, Tseng, and Zack got out before walking along the path where tall, white-barked trees bearing purple colored fruit bend over them like archways.

"Weird-looking trees," Zack commented, looking at the fruit-bearing trees as the three of them walked beneath them.

"These are Banora White trees," Tseng stated as he turned to the two SOLDIERs. "AKA-"

"Dumbapples," Sera finished, recognizing the name from the story Angeal told them back at the operation in Wutai and Tseng nodded.

"Wait, that means we're in Banora?" Zack asked curiously as he looked around with interest. "Angeal's hometown?"

Tseng nodded. "That is correct. Genesis and Angeal have known each other for a long time."

The three of them made their way to the town when they stopped, seeing two red-clad enemies before them. The same ones Zack and Sera had encountered back at Wutai.

Zack quickly took down the two of them as Sera and Tseng stood by, knowing he could handle it easily. When it was over, they moved to join him in front.

"These guys! We saw them in Wutai, too!" Zack proclaimed and Sera nodded when she recognized them as well.

"So they are here," Tseng stated and Zack turned to him. "We haven't seen any of the townspeople. They may have taken control of the entire town."

"Let's hope that's the only thing they did," Sera commented as she stood back up, facing the both of them and Tseng nodded.

"When Genesis deserted, he took a large arsenal of weapons with him," Tseng told them. "The President's orders are to retrieve or destroy these weapons immediately upon discovery."

Zack grinned, bringing his hand into a fist. "Leave it to us!" Sera nodded in agreement. The three of them made their way to the town and once again they came across a small group of copies along with a large spider-like machine. The two SOLDIERs made quick work of the group and the machine activated, targeting at the two as it fired a small missile at them. Zack ran in front of Sera and cleaved the missile in half, the two halves exploding behind them and Zack grinned.

"The President won't be disappointed! Let's go Sera!" She nodded. Sera moved in from behind to attack as Zack followed behind her, going for its legs to stop its movements and with a quick combination of slashes from both Sera and Zack the machine was soon destroyed.

Zack went to remove one of the enemies helmets and stood back up, seeing the face. "A Genesis copy..." Zack muttered.

"Where did you hear that?" Tseng inquired as he went over to the destroyed machine.

"Sephiroth said it."

"The technology was stolen from our scientists," Sera grimaced at the word 'scientists' but neither Tseng nor Zack saw it. "It apparently allows Genesis's abilities and traits to be transplanted...to SOLDIER members... and monsters."

"SOLDIER and monsters... are you saying we're the same?"

"Of course not," Sera refuted and the two men turned to her. "He's saying that they're able to transplant them into the members of SOLDIERs Genesis took with him and the monsters they've must've captured and experimented on wherever they're located. He may have put them together in one statement but that does not mean we are one and the same."

Are you sure about that? A small voice whispered at the back of her mind but she pushed the thought away.

"Monsters act without caring for the consequences. Do we act like that, Zack?" Sera asked Zack shook his head, understanding.

"Oh, right. Of course, that's what you meant. Sorry Tseng," Tseng didn't reply to Zack's apology. In fact, he didn't say anything at all, even when he was asked if that was what he meant.

"Tseng, even if Genesis had stolen the technology I doubt he would be able to operate them well enough to create copies of himself. That would mean he must have taken someone from the Science Division along with the SOLDIER members." Sera analyzed and Tseng nodded.

"You may be right. I'll report to the President about this possibility." Sera nodded and the three of them moved onwards, stopping at a large house in front of them with an even larger Banora White tree growing beside it.

"This is Genesis's home. His parents are wealthy landowners," Tseng stated and Zack looked up at the tree, recalling Angeal's words.

"But I never stole from that tree, because the wealthy man's son was my friend."

"They weren't mere acquaintances. They grew up together, and were best friends." Tseng continued.

"So Genesis deserts and gets his best friend Angeal to join him...Is that it?" Zack asked.

"Sephiroth believes that's the case."

But Sera didn't see it that way. She felt there was something more to it, for she had known Angeal and Genesis for quite some time, having trained by them when her mentor, Sephiroth, couldn't. Genesis, she could see him leaving of his own free will, he must've thought about it for quite a while though, but she doubted it would be the same for Angeal, even if Genesis had asked him to join him in deserting Shinra.

"Zack, I want you to find Angeal's house. It should be among the group of houses over there," Tseng ordered, pointing to the handful of houses a distance away. "Meanwhile Sera and I will check Genesis's home to see if he has been here recently." Zack nodded and walked off.

"Sera," The female SOLDIER turned to the Turk. "Go inside Genesis's house and see if you can find any clues on his recent whereabouts."

"And you?" Tseng looked to the side and she followed his gaze to see a lump of dirt with stones piled on top of it by a different tree.

'Is that-'

"A gravestone," Tseng answered Sera's unspoken question. "It's still very new."

"Don't tell me you're gonna..." Tseng nodded and Sera made a slight sound of disgust. "That's really disturbing, not to mention disrespectful."

"Someone has to do it."

"Sounds rough." Tseng chuckled, waving off the sympathy as he walked towards the grave. "Don't worry. We're paid much better than you are."

'Now that's a rather depressing thought.'