Miguel Street By V.S. Naipaul

Man-Man

Some men put up the cross, and tied Man-man to it.

Man-man said.’ Stone me, brethren.’

The women wept and flung bits of sand and gravel at his feet.

Man-man groaned and said, ‘Father, forgive them. They ain’t know what they doing.’ Then he screamed out, ‘Stone me, brethren!’

 A pebble the size of an egg struck him on the chest.

Man-man cried ‘Stone, stone, STONE me, brethren! I forgive you.’

Edward said, ‘The man really brave.’

People began flinging really big stones at Man-man, aiming at his face and chest.

Man-man looked hurt and surprised. He shouted, ‘What the hell is this? What the hell you people think you doing? Look, get me down from this thing quick, let me down quick, and I go settle with that son of a bitch who pelt a stone at me.’

            From where Edward and Hat and the rest of us stood, it sounded like a cry of agony.

            A bigger stone struck Man-man; the women flung the sand and gravel at him.

            We heard Man-man’s shout, clear and loud, ‘Cut this stupidness out, I tell you. I finish with this arseness, you hear.’ And then he began cursing so loudly and coarsely that the people stopped in surprise.

            The police took away Man-man.

            The authorities kept him for observation. Then for good.