Chapter II

I couldn’t sleep that night. I kept thinking about Zach. I finally went outside and looked at the stars. I didn’t want to wake Daryl with my tossing and turning. Was this ever going to end? The nightmares: the ones we faced every day and the ones we faced every night. Every now and then you’d hear someone wake up screaming. It’d wake the whole cell block. But no one complained because it happened to the best of us. We all had our demons.

I sat there until I saw the sky starting to lighten. I walked back inside and entered my cell. Daryl hadn’t woken up yet. I grabbed placed my knives in all the right spots and grabbed my gun. I was just getting ready to leave again when I heard Daryl stir. I looked over and he reached out his hand. I took it and he pulled me down onto the bed beside him. He tangled his fingers in my hair and pulled my face to his. I kissed him long and hard.

He said against my lips, “I love waking up like this.”

I laughed. “I bet you do.”

I stood up and reached down to pull him out of bed. I succeeded at nothing and ended up right back beside him.  “As much as I’d love to stay like this, we do have work to do.”

He sighed. “I know. But I’m tired of losing people and I want you next to me forever. Nowadays, we don’t know how long forever is.”

Before I could reply, we heard the screams for help. Both of us scrambled up and began running to the commotion. My blood turned to ice as I realized they were coming from the cell block Izzie stayed in. I picked up my speed. We arrived to the sight of both people and walkers. I shot at walkers as they crossed my path and helped some of the children to safety in the cells.

After the calamity was over, we looked over the walkers. They were all bitten except for one… Patrick. He had blood trailing from his eyes and nose but no bite marks. We looked at each other, puzzled. How did he die?

I found Izabel in a cell with a couple of kids. I made sure she was safe and unharmed before I started helping drag the bodies away. As I passed one cell, I happened to overhear a man telling Carol to look after his two daughters Lizzie and Mika. I couldn’t stand to hear more so I kept on walking. Caleb, a doctor before the outbreak, looked at a walker with the same blood trail down his face. He decided it was an aggressive flu strain.

And all of us had been exposed.

And just as everything was going so well.

Well, hell.

An emergency council meeting was held. None of us was sure of what to do. We were discussing where to put the exposed people when we were coughing. We all got up to see who it was. It was Karen. She told us that David was also sick. We put them in a separate cell block, cut off from the rest of us.

Later, I was helping Daryl dig the graves when Rick walked up.

Daryl said, “I’m glad you were in there.”

“I wasn’t much use without my gun.”

“No, you were. All this time you’ve been taking off, ya earned it. We wouldn’t be here without you.”

“Nah, it was all of us.”

“No, it was you first. You helped us figure this out.”

“I-I screwed up too many times. Those calls you gotta make, you start down that road. I almost lost my boy, who he was. Whatever else this place needs, I’m here for.”

“Like I said, you earned it.”

Maggie came running and yelling at us. Rick said, “Well, shit.”

We went rushing towards her. The walkers were piling up against the fence, almost taking it down. We grabbed whatever we could and started picking them off. There were rats. Someone had been feeding them. They kept pushing and pushing and we tried to keep pushing and pushing back. What were we going to do?

The pigs. That’s how we were going to draw them away from the fence. Daryl drove out while Rick rode with the picks. He’d cut one so it’d bleed and then let it go. Daryl would drive a little distance and Rick would repeat the process. They did this until all the pigs were gone. Glenn, Sasha, and I hurried to support the fence. I’m not sure how well it’ll hold but we don’t have anything better.

Tyrese went to check on Karen and David. What he found sent a wave of distrust through us all.

********Read Meh*************

First of all, let me say how good it feels to be back. Second of all, every single one of you who reads this, you are amazing and I appreciat it soooooooooo much. If you enjoy what you read, tell me in the comment section below here. If you really enjoyed what you read, hit that vote button to the side. And if you really, really enjoyed what you read, tell your friends, tell your mom, tell your uncles, tell the crazy cat lady next door. TELL EVERYONE. Spread the joy.

I shall end my ramblings and I shall hopefully leave you wanting, craving, desiring more.

Toodlies lovelies!!!!!!

P.S. I don't know if I'll be able to update soon. I have camp this week