Spikes of ice grew from the floor, creating a deadly pathway. As they slipped and stumbled, some fell amongst the spikes and tried to avoid the sharp tips. Bones were broken and muscles were badly bruised.

The second group was blocked by a solid wall of ice and the third dove for cover as icy spikes were thrown through the air directly at them.

The attacker, manipulating the ice to her whims, corrected the path of two of her spikes and threw them towards the large store window. The glass shattered and she ran for it. She jumped through window, completely fearless about the fact she was a few floors away from the ground.

Hamridge & West backed onto the River Thamis and it was this the thief hoped to cross. She flung her hand out again and landed on a smooth platform of ice. The platform became a slide as she continued to grow it ahead of her. Behind her a guard attempted to jump on but got a nasty surprise as the structure crumbled underneath him.

The thief's slide could have carried her all the way across the river however she had not taken passing boats into account. A small passenger boat was just entering her path and she moved on instinct. She created the section of her ice slide into an upwards curve and allowed it to throw her up into the air and over the top of the boat.

Just as she started to fall back down again, her body came to a complete stop. She had not hit the water or the river bank. She had just stopped falling, her body left to hang in the middle of the air.

"I was hoping I'd find you here." someone called to her. She struggled to angle her head into a position so she could see who was there. At last she spotted him in the corner of her eye. Her view became much better as she was slowly floated downwards.

Her body was lowered until it was a couple of feet above solid ground and then left to hand again. Her arms and legs were stuck in their position. She tried to wiggle her fingers, in the hopes of creating some more ice or snow but it simply wasn't possible.

The man had spoken with a local Lundrun accent and had lean Asian features. His dark hair was short but spiked in a way that seemed as if it lacked attention. He wore smart trousers and a cream jacket but they appeared well worn and possibly due for a wash.

He had one hand in his pocket and the other held out as he supposedly kept her in place.

"I need your help."

.....

After a brief walk the pair met the crowds of the Lundrun high-streets. Although it was already dark this did little to thin the masses. It was past evening rush hour and most people were out for enjoyment or to catch up on shopping. Even those in a hurry were likely to be going to the theatre or to some other cultural past time.

"So what's your name?" asked Harvey. The girl was weaving through the crowds, making her progress look easy while Harvey kept finding himself trapped behind slow walkers. He would dodge around them and jog to catch up with her.

"You ask for a girl's help when you don't even know her name?" she said as if offended. Although whether she was being honest or simply mocking him, he wasn't sure yet.

"I understand your skill set, it's how I tracked you down but I don't know much else about you."

"Your name first," she replied simply.

"Harvey." Once it was out he quickly wondered whether he should have lied considering his current circumstances. It was too late to change it.

"Connie," she obliged. Connie looked to be in her early twenties. Her skin was a lighter brown, although the tone was difficult to see in the soft glow of the street lighting. Harvey guessed she might have come from an Indian family, although for most people in Lundrun, ethnicity was never quite so straight-forward.