Chapter One

The clang of metal hits my ears.

"Come on, you can do better than this!"

I squint my eyes, trying to figure out my next move. Spruce's sword flashes before my face and I duck quickly. I bring my dagger forward, blocking his next shot. I bring his arms behind his back, forcing him into a turtle shell position.

Unfortunately, I loosen my grip, allowing him to break free, throwing me to the ground while he does so.

I start to feel anger bubbling inside of me. I hate it, absolutely hate it when Spruce beats me. By the way, it's hardly ever.

I jump to my feet and slide my dagger back into its sheath.

I pull my bow off of my back and load an arrow. I only do this when I know I can't win.

Spruce backs away dropping his sword, "Whoa, Annabeth! You know that's not fair!"

I roll my green eyes, I know he's right. But, it's to my advantage that I can shoot a bow and arrow. He knows that I would never, ever shoot him, but it always makes him back down.

"Fine, whatever. Nice practice though." I say, unloading my arrow, putting it back into its quiver.

He comes over and puts his muscular arm around me. I would never let anyone else do this to me but him. There's just something about him that makes me feel safe, something Father could never do. At least, not anymore.

"You fight pretty good, for a girl." Spruce teases, dragging me out of my thoughts.

I punch him in the shoulder, playfully. He picks up his sword from the ground and cleanses the mud and dirt off of it. I know one thing, I would not want to come up against him in a fight.

I know I have to get going, I have to bring something home for dinner. My two twin brothers, Rowan and Marsh, are working in the coal mines, so they don't have time to hunt. Jade, my younger sister can't put food on the table either.

So, that only leaves me to provide. Father definitely doesn't count. He's too far away to even work in the mines. He's lucky that the district doesn't make him work, he wouldn't survive.

I can feel Spruce looking at me. I look up at him, "I uh, I have to go."

He nods. He knows the drill. We come far enough from each of our districts every other day to practice our fighting skills. Not because there's anyone we really have to fight, it's because it helps me release some of the anger I have inside of me.

I am so lucky to have Spruce. I mean, he's from District Eleven. I'm from District Twelve. Well, mostly; I am now.

Spruce is one of the only ones who knows my secret. My family's secret. I know he'll keep it. We've been meeting here for six years. I met him when I was seven, he was nine. I tell him pretty much everything.

He knows how Mother died, how Father is so far away, and how I despise my sister. It seems bad, how I hate my sister, but I have a good reason. She's the reason Mother is dead!

I shake my head. I can't get myself worked up, I have to hunt. I don't hunt as well when I'm tensed.

"See ya Annabeth. Good luck tomorrow." Spruce pats my shoulder and loudly stomps through the forest back to his district.

I completely forgot the reaping is tomorrow! I push the thought aside, I don't want to think about that right now.

I load an arrow, and quietly sneak through the forest. I easily shoot down a squirrel.

Soon I have two squirrels and a rabbit. I know meat alone can't feed a family of five, so I find as old blueberry bush that I found when I was a few years younger. I fill up my pockets with as much as I can carry, then head back to District Twelve.