A Core Theory

One main core theory that kind of ties into most other theories is that once Coraline enters the Other World, she never actually leaves. The first night Coraline spent in the other Universe she never went through the tunnel to get back, she simply fell asleep and woke up back in her bed. Now knowing this she could have easily been put into a Pink Palace limbo Universe with no real exit except back through the beldams' lair which would make her trapped without knowing it.

Essentially after the first night going into the other world, Coraline was put into a Pink Palace limbo in which the beldam was posing as her real mother, which we find out later that she can do. She can pose as Coraline's real mother without button eyes so that just ties into another theory that the button eyes aren't really needed or necessary and are just a thing to scare Coraline or to aid in her having a false sense of hope that she has left the other universe.

There is a lot of theorizing going around that the Soul Sand is what powers all the animate objects in the other world. I don't think that's right, I think that the Soul Sand controls the mice and I really think other than the dolls there's nowhere else that we actually see the Soul Sand being used I still really do not believe that the human characters are made out of the Soul sand or that most of the characters are made out of all of the creatures in the other world are made out of the soul sand, and a big supporter of that is that when Other Wybie takes Coraline to escape through the portal she says come with me and he takes away his glove And blows away his hand which suggests that he couldn't last in the 'real world'. But that doesn't make any sense at all because he blows off his hand in the other world he's still in there he hasn't even set foot inside of the portal yet and the whole purpose of that is to say that the magic stops working at the portal but the beldam goes through the portal, okay and her hand even makes it to the real world with no problem whatsoever. Plus the mice are also shown in the world, the doll seen as being functional in the real world, so how could that be that the Soul Sand stops working at the portal door? We also see that the mice and the doll are stuffed with sand and whereas the Other Wybie pulls off his glove and he blows away his hand, So what if Other Wybie is giving Coraline the illusion of escaping the Otherworld while actually following the beldams orders because if the other mother can create this entire universe who's to say that she can't create a portal that goes to a fake place and makes you think you're back in the real world when you're not, and then you have the Pink Palace Limbo that you may be stuck in forever after visiting the other world. And maybe the ghosts were set up to make her feel comforted even though it's no safer than being in the other world with the other mother.