2.3

Gracie kept shouting in her head.
She was angry at Chengcheng for not telling her anything.

Yet she was angry at herself too.

If only she didn't play hard-to-get, if only she didn't make Chengcheng play some stupid 'game'.

If only she realized Chengcheng's weird behavior that came out sometimes.

If only...

She realized those genuine feelings Chengcheng developed for her.

"Oh God why is this happening...", she cried in the back of her mind.

She cried in Wenjun's arm. Wenjun kept still and rubbed her back, trying to comfort the crying girl.

But tears couldn't stop flowing out of Gracie's eyes.

"And that's actually not really all...", Wenjun said quietly.

Gracie looked up at Wenjun's face, with tears still brimming in her eyes. What now could Wenjun tell her? She had enough with suddenly knowing that Chengcheng has cancer. Could she cope more bad news?

"What more is there that you're not telling me?", she said, trying to gain back her composure as she wiped her tears away. She let go of Wenjun and stared at him, waiting for his words. Plus, it did felt a little bit awkward... considering Wenjun knows that she used to crush on him.

Wenjun's Adam's apple bobbed in his throat while his face remained sad. It looked like he had a hard time to tell her...

"Well? What is it?", she tapped her foot impatiently as she looked at Wenjun's sorrowful face.

Bad news or not, she knew that she had to go through pain.

"The real reason why I called you was... What I said has a 80 percent chance of becoming true... You might only be able to see Chengcheng's lifeless body after this..."

The tears that just stopped falling, fell again.

"Y-you can't be serious... R-right? Tell me, Bi Wenjun!!! HE'S NOT GONNA DIE, RIGHT??!!"

Gracie couldn't control her emotions as she gripped Wenjun's tear-stained shirt that was wet from her tears. She shooked his body madly.

Wenjun just let Gracie be. Who wouldn't feel this way if they were in Gracie's shoes?

"I-I'm sorry... The cells suddenly spread and grew rapidly like wildfire about three hours ago and he almost—"

He took in a deep breath. He too, couldn't handle the current situation they are facing.

He 'worked' for Chengcheng since they were kids. He practically grew up alongside of Chengcheng. While doing his job, he befriended the boy. No one could bear to see their beloved best friend, boss, to go away... forever.

"Almost stopped breathing... Thank God his parents were in the room. I don't know what would happen if nobody was there..."

The girl let out a sigh.

"Why didn't you tell me all of this earlier?", Gracie asked sharply and eyed the boy.

"Don't you care for him? You knew that he was dying and wanted to find someone to love. Why didn't you just tell me?! I could've just dated him from the start!! The only thing that kept me behind was 'trust'!!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT CHENGCHENG REALLY LIKED OR LOVED ME??!!!!"

Gracie burst out in anger.

"BECAUSE I DON'T TRUST YOU TOO!! I DIDN'T WANT YOU TO BREAK CHENGCHENG'S HEART!! I WAS AFRAID THAT YOU WERE LIKE OTHER GIRLS, WHO LIKES HIM FOR HIS LOOKS, HIS POPULARITY, HIS NUMBER OF FOLLOWERS ON INSTAGRAM AND HIS MONEY!!!!!", Wenjun shouted back at her.